Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Saturday, January 08, 2011

The 50 Miler Became 40, With Hockey

As I got ready to head out, this morning, I realized that I had time get to Colin's hockey game, down at Family Sports, if I skipped my coffee and scone.  So, instead of heading to Kaladi for coffee, I headed south to the sports complex (10 miles away).  I stopped at the Starbucks across Arapahoe Road from the ice arena, filled my thermos with Americano and got a breakfast sandwich.

Once there, I found Carol and her parents, and sat with them through the game, as I had my coffee and food.  The game was pretty good, and ended up tied at 3-all.  It took an hour and a half out of my ride time, but I was glad I stopped.  I missed Colin's whole season, last year, and I didn't want to do that again.

After the game, I continued south to the E-470 Trail, and headed west.  About 3 or 4 miles away from the hockey rink, I realized that I had an empty coffee thermos, but no water bottle.  So, I stopped at the convenience store at 470 and Quebec and got some bottled water.

As per usual, lately, I forgot my camera.  While I was stopped, getting water, I used my phone to snap one shot for the ride:

 Can you tell I was happy to be riding on a nice, sunny day?

I followed the C-470 Trail (it changes at I-25) to the South Platte Greenway, and turned north just in time for a head wind to start blowing.  Clouds were beginning to move in from the north, and it looks like the weather-guessers might have gotten it right, for once.  The forecast is for snow and Arctic-like low temperatures for the next couple of days. 

So, I left the South Platte at Dartmouth Avenue, and wound my way through the neighborhoods until I got to Kaladi Brothers.  I stopped in and got my coffee and scone, which I had missed this morning, and then headed for the house (after hanging out for a while).

All in all,  I ended up with a little over 40 miles on the bike, and I got to watch a pretty good hockey game, in the middle of it.  Not too bad for a Saturday.

Once home, I took the lighted spiral trees down, from the from yard, and got things shipshape for the coming snow.  Looks like the Holidays are officially over, now.

x

2 Comments:

At 6:21 PM , Blogger Pondero said...

Flexibility and creative thinking pays off again. Great story.

 
At 6:44 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

Sounds like fun! You don't mention the temperature, but it sure looks like a nice warm day.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home