Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Friday, January 07, 2011

Day Off

What a tiring week.  Back at work after a week and a half off, I had to ride on snow and ice every day, in some pretty low temps every morning.  I was quite tired, by the end of the week.

So, I determined that I was going to take it easy, this morning.  And...that's just what I did.  I slept until almost 8:00, got up, and rode the XO-2 down to Kaladi.


 It was crazy-busy in the coffee shop, and there wasn't a seat to be had.  I ended up sitting outside, with the temps in the low-40s.  I loaned my sweatshirt to the lady whose leg you can see in the background, so that she could use it as a lap-blanket.  She was kinda shivering, and I just couldn't sit there and watch it.

The bike closest to me in the picture is Don Fox's Fuji.  Don is an old friend, and one of the most interesting people I know.  He was very active in the motorcycle and hotrod world, here in Denver, back in the 50s and 60s, and was a professional body man.  He is full of hotrod stories, and motorcycle tales, and I love to hear him talk about the local scene, from back in the old days.  I eventually ended up inside, sitting with him.

Don just had his 77th birthday, on December 21.  He no longer drives (hasn't in the 8 or 9 years I've known him), but gets around fine by foot and bike.  I hope I am still going that strong, at that age.

I hung around Kaladi until about noon, then rode home.  The rest of the day was equally laid-back. 

Tomorrow, I plan on riding the bike for some significant amount of miles.  I'm not sure how far I will go, but I want to get a nice long recreational ride in.  My birthday ride is going to be a bit epic, this year, so I want to get some good base miles in.

x

2 Comments:

At 7:24 AM , Blogger Apertome said...

Sounds like a relaxing day. I was puzzled, with your description of the week, then seeing the outdoor shot at the coffee shop.

Don sounds like a very interesting character!

 
At 9:00 AM , Blogger Jon said...

One good day of sunshine is all it takes to remove most of the snow, around here, after a 4-inch fall. The shady neighborhood streets I ride on the way to work remained icy until yesterday, but are mostly clear, now.

We don't usually get into that situation where we have snow on the ground, constantly, through the winter. Although, we did a couple of years ago.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home