Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Nice Ride, Long Drive

On Saturday, Brad and I met at the house, then headed for Kaladi Brothers on the bicycles.

I took the XO2 and Brad was on his Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen.

After coffee and scone (me) and breakfast burrito (Brad), we took off to ride the gravel part of the Highline Canal, then looping around to the South Platte Greenway to come back north.  After zig-zagging through the neighborhoods , and hitting the the paved trail along Colorado Boulevard, we got to the Highline.

We took a short break to shed some layers, as the temperature was quickly climbing.  It was around 45 degrees when we left my house, and we ended up riding most of the day in the high-60s to mid-70s.

The last time I rode this stretch of trail, a couple of years ago, it was mostly snow-packed and icy.  Saturday's conditions were a bit nicer.

Brad and I engaged in a short camera duel.  He had just taken a picture of me, over his shoulder, when I passed him and got this shot.

It was nice down here, in Denver, but check the fresh snow on the mountains...

We rode at a pretty good pace, all the way down to the C-470 Trail, where we turned west and headed to the South Platte.  On the way north, along the river, the wind kicked up.  And, for once, it was a nice tailwind.  At one point, we dropped the hammer and  busted out a 30mph sprint for about a half-mile.


After that effort, it seemed like a good idea to stop off at Kaladi, yet again, and grab an Eye-talion Soda.


Door-to-door distance was decent, but the ride just couldn't be beat.  It's not every year that you get to ride in shirtsleeves on the last weekend of October.

Sunday morning, I followed Brad up north to Wiggins, Colorado.


I was dragging a trailer behind the truck...
 Brad was in his MGB (going by so fast I couldn't capture all of him with the camera).

We went to the middle of nowhere, and swapped the car for this:

Now, both Brad and Randy have Stella scooters with sidecars.  I'm feeling a bit left out.

But, since I prefer to ride in the sidehack, rather than drive a scooter, I don't particularly need one of my own...

The scooter was about 85 miles from my house, so I did a lot more driving that day than I usually do in a week!  It was for a good cause, though.

x

4 Comments:

At 9:29 PM , Blogger katina said...

Tell Brad the scooter looks awesome!

 
At 6:33 AM , Blogger Rat Trap Press said...

There is almost too much cool stuff in this post to comment on, the bikes, the MGB, the scooter, with a sidecar even. Awesome!

 
At 6:56 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

Beautiful bicycles! The other stuff is cool too, but the bikes are the coolest part.

 
At 8:18 PM , Blogger MandG said...

I love that stretch of the Highline through Cherry Hills Village. I've not been down it for a couple of years. Might have to make it down there soon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home