Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Of Life, Death and Goals Not Met

I had someone ask, this morning at the coffee shop, how my 100-mile rides were going.  I had to just tell her that I had dropped that goal for the year.  Dealing with Daddy's passing, and the inevitable reflection that brought on, just sort of put me off my stride.  And, honestly, it really made all the goals I had set, earlier, seem a little less important.

The other day, I was talking to Carol and I mentioned that certain things in life just weren't suiting me, and that dealing with the emotions of losing Daddy had really brought them to the forefront.  I work a job that only gives me a paycheck, for instance,  and I really don't get any fulfillment from it.  I'd like to do something which actually means something to me. 

She said to me, "Whatever you do, maybe you just need to do a little less.  You have too many projects and goals, and you can't seem to get any of them done.  Don't start anything new, for a while, and see how you feel about it."  (Obviously, not a direct quote, but close enough.)

And, she is right.  I've spread myself a bit thin, trying to find some satisfaction with life, and it really hasn't worked out that well.  So, I think I'm going to back off on some things, and I hope nobody thinks I'm just being a quitter.

I would really like to get some music recorded, but for now I am writing so much new stuff and exploring new avenues on the guitar... so I think I'll just let it happen when it happens. 

I will get back to doing the 100 mile rides, but I'm not going to set a minimum number for them.  When I feel like it, I'll bust one out.  When I don't, I'll ride to the coffee shop and relax.

I'm still riding to work, every day.  I hit the 700-day mark, this past Tuesday, and I see no reason to quit.  I still plan on seeing live music, at least once a month.  And, I will be working on Kyle's motorbike through the winter and spring, so it's not like I don't have some goals to meet.  I just don't need everything I do to be tied to a deadline or a minimum number.

I think, for the next little bit, I'm just going to live life and try to get the most out of it that I can.  Life is too short to be constantly stressing about goals and deadlines  I get enough of that at the lab.

x

5 Comments:

At 3:05 PM , Blogger Oldfool said...

One of my many mottoes is "do less live more".
One of my many made up Confucius sayings is "Man who know when to back off seldom run off cliff".
Advice from a fool is not usually worth much so count this as a comment not advice.

 
At 4:51 PM , Blogger Robert Sisson said...

Jon, You need to read this:
http://www.smallerliving.net/vicblogs/

 
At 4:15 PM , Blogger Rat Trap Press said...

I can completely identify with your feelings about your job.

I like Oldfool's motto, "Do less, live more."

 
At 10:52 AM , Blogger katina said...

Down here we have a garden tour doohickey thing about 2x a year. Only certain people show their gardens, but the work leading up to it (making sure everything looks good, cleaning up all the dead stuff and putting down fresh mulch the week of, etc) that it seems quite a few take a breather from any garden stuff for a while. And these are people who LOVE to do garden stuff.

 
At 1:10 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

Seems like sound advice. I've had to do something similar myself when I reached a point where I felt I was spending too much time riding/training, for longer rides. I recently discovered an unexpected and rather unpleasant side effect to backing off on riding: Now that I've done longer rides I don't get the same sense of accomplishment out of finishing a shorter one. So I definitely need to keep doing SOME longer rides, even if I'm not doing them as frequently. Balance is tough to achieve.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home