Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Saturday, October 02, 2010

Bad Week For Me On eBay

I decided I wanted to put a lower-profile seat on the CL450, but I really don't want to mess up the one that's on it.  Nor do I want to spend big bucks on a custom seat.  So, I decided to buy a stock seat-pan, and a cover, and modify those to suit my vision.

So, I bid on a seat auction, on eBay, and won it.  With the seat-pan in transit, I hit the Buy-It-Now for a seat cover.  Total cost:  About $75.00.  Not too bad, considering a premade cafe seat for the CL450 would be about $250.00.

Imagine how thrilled I was when I received this (pictures taken after I removed the stock cover and foam - the condition was obvious, even before that):



Nice, huh?

Here's the message I sent the seller:

Hi,

I just wanted to contact you and let you know that I am pretty dissatisfied with the seat I bought from you. I understand that used parts are used parts, but the seatpan on this seat was totally rusted away all the way around the edge, and even up into the seating area.

I honestly don't see how you could have handled this item and believed that it was in usable condition. If I had a seat in this bad shape, I would simply throw it in the trash (which is probably where it's going, although I may try to glass it and make it somewhat usable), rather than sell it to someone who can't inspect it first.

I took photos of the condition of the pan, after I removed the cover, if you have any doubts about the condition the seat is in. I will gladly email them to you, if you want to see them.

I won't leave negative feedback, in the hopes that this was, indeed, an example of someone just not paying attention. Due to shipping cost, I will not return the seat.

Regretfully,

Jon Grinder


I'm hoping that he will offer to make good on this, but I'm not holding my breath.  I'm certainly not going to pay shipping to send it back.  Combine that with the shipping I paid to get it here, and I would still be out just about the purchase price.  At least I only wasted $35.00 on it, total.

I hope I can grind off the rusty parts, and fiberglass it to the point where I can use it, but it looks doubtful.

To top it off, the seat cover came in, today, and it is actually the shorter version which fits the CB450 (CLs have a shorter tank/longer seat).  It's marked as a CL cover, but here it is in comparison with my existing seat:


You can see not only the comparative size, but the gap between the nose of the seat and the tank.

I contacted the seller, pointed out that it is not what I ordered, and asked him to refund my money, and pay the return shipping, due to that fact.  Again, not holding my breath.

Oh, well.  Caveat emptor, and all that, I suppose.

x

4 Comments:

At 7:02 PM , Blogger Oldfool said...

Been there and I don't do it anymore.
Don't be nice. Burn them with negative feedback. You'll be doing everyone a favor.

 
At 7:32 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

Wow. Wow.

 
At 4:44 PM , Blogger katina said...

For what its worth, I hope everything works out.

 
At 11:26 AM , Blogger Apertome said...

I hope things work out too. I have to agree with Oldfool ... these guys deserve negative feedback, at least the guy with the rusty parts. The other thing seems like an honest mistake.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home