Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Friday, December 19, 2008

Thumpthump...Aw, Man!

About a third of the way home, I cross 8th Avenue on Kearney. A block later, I turn one block east then ride on Krameria until I cross 6th Ave. and enter Crestmoor Park.

Today, I crossed 8th and, about halfway down the block, a squirrel ran out into the road and right under my wheels.

Thumpthump.

I got him with both wheels. It was so sudden that I couldn't even try to bunnyhop him. Two wheels, two studded tires, with my full weight on the bike... Yet, when I looked back, I saw the squirrel run off the road and into a yard.

I couldn't believe that he wasn't dead (and he may be, by now). But, I couldn't think of anything to do, so I just kept riding.

I noticed, about a mile down the street, that the bike seemed to be shimmying a little. I stopped and looked at the tire pressure on the back, since the shimmy seemed to originate there. The tire looked good, so I rode on.

As I went, the shimmy became more pronounced. Then, the tire started hitting the chainstay. Yep, another broken spoke on the rear wheel. Driveside, of course.

Revenge of the squirrel?

Now, this isn't the same rear wheel on which I broke a spoke a few weeks ago: Same bike, different wheel.

Looks like I'll be out in the shop, this weekend, 15 degree high temperatures notwithstanding. Oh, well; I needed another project/chore to keep me busy. Not.

x

4 Comments:

At 6:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watch out for moose.
-Joy

 
At 5:35 PM , Blogger nick said...

the bike. likes. squirrels.

prof. knowitall, out.

 
At 8:45 AM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

So,the bike started felling a little SQUIRRELLY!

 
At 2:55 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Heh, heh..."Squirrelly"...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home