Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, December 07, 2008

More Schreckengostian Goodness

I just picked up another Murray cruiser. It's too stripped down to tell what model (or brand, for that matter - Western Flyer, Sears, J.C. Higgins, Murray?) it was sold as. I can only tell it was built sometimes in the late 1950s to early 70s.

It has the cool Viktor Schreckengost (hi, Frankenbiker) designed rear dropouts, but a standard cantilever frame. So, it could be one of a couple dozen variations.
I picked it up mainly because of the rear baskets (and the brand-new Electra tires, which are worth more than I paid for the bike). I have been planning on building up a grocery bike with rear baskets and a porteur rack, so I figure this one is already halfway there. The black rattlecan paint won't be too affected by staying out in the weather, so it can be a true pack mule, without worrying about the aesthetics of the bike.
I'll probably use my copper pipe prototype that I built as a pattern for the rack I need to finish for Mark Overly. Or, I might build one from slotted shelf supports (I saw one on a blog, somewhere, and it looked pretty cool).
And, of course, I just had to have another project to work on.
More, as it develops.
x

6 Comments:

At 7:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's really a cute bike. I bought my teenaged daughter a girl's Schwinn Hornet from 1953. It weighed almost 45 lbs. We sold it about 4 months ago, and got her a cycle-cross. Don't get mad...

I would have attached a pix, but didn't know how~

 
At 7:28 AM , Blogger Jon said...

If I could only have one bike, it would be a cylocross bike. Much more of a d-everything than a cruiser...

 
At 7:29 AM , Blogger Jon said...

Um..you know- "do"-everything...

 
At 4:13 PM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

Another great find Jon. I love the old cruiser bikes.If I could have only one bike it would be the new Salsa Fargo, 29 inch mtn. tires and disc brakes, but with drop bars designed for adventure touring.It's the closest thing I've seen to a true do"anything" bike.

 
At 9:02 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

Fun bike! I can see it already with the porteur rack, it's going to rock.

 
At 9:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home