Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow!

I took this picture after I got back from the coffee shop, this morning.

When I left, all of the pavement was covered in snow (and ice, where the car tires had packed it down). So, I replaced the fair-weather wheels (broken spoke and all) with the studded tire-shod winter wheels and took off. Although I used them a couple of weeks ago, today was the first time this season that I have actually seen a need for them, once I was out on the street.

As always, when using the studded tires, I was amazed at how slow I was. I have some new studded 700c tires for the yellow bike. I am curious if they will slow me down as much on that bike, comparatively, as these do on the mountain bike.

Speaking of the yellow dog, I need to fix yet another problem on it. The headset won't stay adjusted, due to the threads on the top of the steer tube stripping out (the locknut won't hold). Maybe I'll fix that, this afternoon.

x

3 Comments:

At 9:03 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

What kind of studded tires do you run? Those look studded and knobby. Seems like it'd be a pretty solid combination. Is it?

 
At 9:06 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

By the way, I love those handlebars. What are they?

 
At 3:06 PM , Blogger Jon said...

The tires are Innova 2.1 inch (I think) with 200-some-odd studs in them. Heavy as all get-out, but effective.

The handlebars are On-One Midge bars. I have some Origin8 Gary bars, which are very similar, that I am goint to try on another bike. They are half the price, and just slightly different in the bend. I'm curious if the difference is enough to make the more expensive bar a necessity.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home