Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Friday, February 08, 2008

Accessories

Accessories for a bike I have yet to start building. These are from Velo Orange, one of my favorite bike accessory dealers. They are kind of like Rivendell, but a little more realistic in pricing. VO has their own line of retro accessories manufactured by various companies, and their stuff is of high quality, yet affordable.

For instance, the leather bar wrap, pictured here, is only $40.00. It is nicely bevelled on the sides, soft and supple. Compare it to the Brooks at $69.95 per set, from Harris Cyclery. I like Brooks saddles, but not enough to pay an extra thirty bucks to put their name on my handlebars.

The handlebar bag and the tape, from VO, cost me less than the Brooks tape, alone, would if you factor in shipping.
Stay tuned for further developments on this particular project. I'm thinking it will turn out to be very cool


x

5 Comments:

At 8:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

wut style/frame/ish are you going for? looks awesome...stripping some paint today for a project also...funfun.

 
At 12:25 PM , Blogger Jon said...

I am working on a retro-tourer, 3-speed internal hub with drop bars. I plan on powdercoating it in a "classic" scheme, and decking it out with old-school accessories (although I will be using 700c rims, te give me more tire choices).

 
At 12:06 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

Cool stuff, I hadn't heard of VO so thanks for mentioning them. I will almost certainly order some stuff from them, very nice-looking products.

That bike you're building sounds like a lot of fun!

 
At 4:26 PM , Blogger Jared said...

Let us know how that leather bar tape works out! I've been considering it for a bike I'm working on. But I've read some reviews where it quickly disintegrated (this was actually the Brooks stuff!) Hopefully yours will wear better.

 
At 7:11 PM , Blogger Jon said...

It may be awhile, but I will definitrely be reporting on how it goes.

I will probably shellac it, after installation, to weatherproof it. So, that may prevent the disintegration problem.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home