Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, February 03, 2013

A Dirty Mountain Bike



...is a happy mountain bike.

I rode up Mt. Falcon, again, today.  There was snow, mud, dry dirt and rock on the trail, and the CST tires worked very well on all of those surfaces. I am happy that I took a chance on those tires.

I was dying on the climb, and I thought to myself that I might need to get a new cogset with a 34 tooth cog, since the 20 x 32 was killing me.  I stopped to catch my breath, and really was concerned about why I was having so much more trouble on the climb than I had last week.  Then, it occurred to me that I hadn't checked the cable adjustment on the shifter, since the break-in ride. 

Sure enough, the shifter was on 1, but the chain was on the second cog.  Twenty years in, and I made a rookie mechanic's mistake!

Anyway, I adjusted the cable tension, and continued the climb (which was much easier, now that I was actually in low gear).

Best Super Bowl party ever!

x

4 Comments:

At 7:46 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hey John I like your blog. I see you sell vintage bikes and parts and I am looking for a 1" crown/Steerer tube/stanchions for a Rock Shox Quadra 10 that has a 1" diameter stanchions. Do you have anything like that laying around? I'll take a full fork if you have one that meets those specs. Thanks, Petr
DJphbalance@RoadRunner.Com

 
At 6:41 PM , Blogger Wilson said...

I envy the proximity you seem to have to so many terrific rides.
Cheers.

 
At 9:45 PM , Blogger Jon said...

@Petr: Unfortunately, I have no 1" steer-tube suspension parts, at all. They are getting quite difficult to find, around here.

@Wilson: I moved to the Denver area, 20 years ago, because of the proximity to good mountain biking. That remains one of my favorite things about living here.

 
At 11:29 AM , Blogger Christopher said...

Nice bike!
I just finished my 29'er, a all rigid Kona Explosif. It is my first 29'er and I am still figuring out the gears. I am restricted by the hubs, old Phil Wood Mtn bike freewheel, no disc brakes for me!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home