Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, January 06, 2013

Getting Back In the Saddle, For the New Year

 Juxtaposition

The band has taken up so much of my time, these past few months, that I have all but ceased to think of myself as a cyclist.  Sure, I ride back and forth to work, occasionally, and run some errands.  But, I haven't gone on a lot of rides, and none of any appreciable distance, in quite a while.

The silver lining to that is that my Achilles tendon has been less stressed, and I hope that it is pretty much healed up.  I have not experienced any pain from it, lately.  And I really hope that means that, once I get back to riding farther, and more often, I will have no problems with it.

Fingers crossed.

In the meantime, I have been doing a little roller riding.  Even though there is no substitute for actual, on the ground, mileage, riding the rollers seems to bump-start my fitness pretty efficiently.  Being a bit out of shape, I find that riding in the cold is not that much fun.  I have to put so much effort into staying warm tht the ride, itself, is punishing.

So, the rollers came into the house, along with one of my all-time favorite bikes, Le Peugeot L'Orange.  Riding fixed on rollers is a lot more fun than riding with a freewheel, to me.

I sort of dropped out of the fixed-gear scene, a couple of years ago, due to a few factors.  One of those was that most of people with whom I ride don't enjoy riding fixed.  But, since I really don't get invited along on too many rides, nowadays, I suppose I might as well ride whatever I feel like. 

(It's amazing how quickly people stop inviting you along, at all, if you have a bit of a handicap on the bike, and have to turn down a few rides...)

Anyway, I think I will go back to riding a lot of fixed, this year.  I think I will even build myself up a fixed mountain bike, and do some off-roading, again.  I have missed that.  And, I have a suitable frame hanging in the shop building.

x

5 Comments:

At 3:25 PM , Blogger MELI. said...

to a healthy 2013, happy new year jon :))
xxom

 
At 4:41 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

Happy New Year, Jon!

I love that orange bike!

I like the band equipment behind your bike. It is cool to see the stuff in your photos - lots of stories.

Glad your tendon is doing well. I've had a sore soleus muscle in my calf for a long time, but since October it's been pain free. Still, I do lots of stretches. We don't heal too quickly anymore, do we?

Be well!

 
At 6:55 PM , Blogger Pondero said...

Very good to see a new post, and a message for more bicycle adventures.

I hope that album project went well for you, but I sure miss your bicycle tinkering, philosophy, and ride stories.

 
At 7:00 PM , Blogger Wilson said...

Glad you had the time to heal up. Great to see your "back in the saddle" post.
I want to build up a fixte as well, but I'm not sure if my knees could take it.
Looking forward to your 2013 posts.

~ Wilson

 
At 6:10 PM , Blogger Steve A said...

I hope to do more fixed gear riding this year as well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home