Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, May 06, 2012

It Sucks to Get Old

I went to the doctor, Wednesday afternoon, to talk to her about my Achilles Tendinitis.  Previously, I had talked to the physician's assistant, and after following her advice for a year, I was still suffering pain in the tendon.  I was hoping that the doctor would have a definitive fix in mind, after 14 months of trouble with the tendon...acupuncture, or something.   I don't know...

Anyway, she pretty much just told me to not expect to do a lot of big rides, this year.  And, she has me off of the bicycle for another two weeks (on top of the two weeks previous during which the tendon was bothering me so much that it hurt while I was riding, not just afterwards), taking huge doses of ibuprofen in order to try to get the inflammation to go away.

After that, home PT (stretching exercises).  If that fails to take care of the problem, then I have to go to a professional physical therapist, and maybe to an orthopedist to get a cast on the ankle to completely prevent movement of the tendon, so that it will heal from whatever is wrong.

I am unclear as to whether or not I am supposed to ride the bike during the home PT stage.  I will have to check in with the Doc and see, when the time comes.  I hope I can, because not riding is making me a bit grumpy (and a bit fatter, every day, too, I might add).

I have pretty much always been able to ride through whatever was wrong with me, until it either went away or was fixed by medical intervention.  I tried with this, but it just got to be too much...which makes me feel like I am getting old and weak.

One of the things that really sucks is that I will end up driving the truck to work, if it rains.  I can't ride the bicycle, and commuting by motorbike in the rain is just too dangerous.

I guess that just means that I will have more time to work on the music project and ride the motorcycle.  That's the upside.

But, I miss riding my bike, dammit!

x

6 Comments:

At 7:10 PM , Blogger Pondero said...

Bummer news. I've been fortunate in having relatively good health, but even minor set-backs are hugely frustrating. I hope the recovery goes faster than anticipated and you are able to follow-through with your grand plans for the bike this year.

 
At 7:19 AM , Blogger Apertome said...

Man, that really sucks. We all have our own achilles heel, for you that turns out to also be your actual achilles tendon. I really hope the resting and PT will help it. Either way, I hope you find a solution soon.

 
At 9:24 AM , Blogger Jon said...

Thanks, guys.

I plan on exploring the acupuncture option, too. After the two weeks of ibuprofen-eating is up, I plan to ask for a referral so that I don't have to pay out of pocket. If I can't get it, I will do it anyway, and just pay for it.

A friend of mine had good results with that, after a bad ankle break (he now runs marathons).

 
At 6:43 PM , Blogger MELI. said...

to a good healthy tendon +recovery jon :)) xxom

 
At 10:09 AM , Blogger Christopher said...

Oo, oo, oo!
If you have to go with the cast, maybe you could have a cleat attached to the bottom so you could use a clipless pedal!

 
At 10:48 AM , Blogger Jon said...

That's exactly what I told the doctor!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home