Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, September 04, 2011

"New" Nishiki

I picked this 1983-ish Nishiki up as part of a barter deal, recently.  The rear wheel was bent, so I stuck some 700c wheels in it (which I wanted to run, anyway), with 45c tires on it.  I didn't figure the tires would fit into the frame, but it's easier to store a bike with wheels than without.  Imagine my surprise when the wheels actually spun.  The tire clearance is minimal, but they do clear.

I know you can't see a great many details in the cell-phone camera shot, but I wanted to get something up about it.  I'll post more photos once I have a real camera available.

I finally found a bike to use the gold SunTour crank on.  I picked it up at VeloSwap, a couple of years ago, becase it was, well, gold and because it is a SunTour rather than a Sugino.  I don't see many actual SunTour cranks, around these parts.

I retained the SunTour bar-con shifters, but I installed them on a mustache bar/dirt-drop style stem combo, with new Aztek cables and housing.  I swapped the high-normal (if you remove the cable, the derailleur shifts to the big ring - high gear) front derailleur for another vintage SunTour unit which is low-normal (remove the cable, and the derailleur shifts to the small ring - low gear), because I hate the backwards-shift thing on the front, with the high-normal version.

Origin8 racing-style saddle, Deore DX platform pedals from the late 80s, a new seatpost,  a handlebar-mounted water bottle cage, new brake cables and housing, and Cinelli "natural"-colored cork tape rounded out the build.    New brake pads will soon be installed, to replace the 25+year-old pieces that are on there, now.

Plus, I found an old Zefal frame pump in my parts pile, and used an Agfa clamp to mount it to the seatpost.

Dave Webb and I rode down to the bike race, last weekend, and I took this bike on its maiden voyage, then.  It rode nice, even if the tires seemed to roll a bit sluggishly (I will probably drop down to 35c, or so, on it).  The racing-style seat was really comfortable, even with street clothes, which surprised me.

I love the color of the paint, and the trim.  The patina of age adds a certain "beausage", as Grant Petersen would say, so I won't be repainting it.  I will shellac the tape, pretty soon, though.

So, now I have an actual road bike in the stable, once again...

x

6 Comments:

At 4:07 PM , Blogger Pondero said...

That's nice one. I bet it rides nicely. I'm surprised you got 45s on there, and I'm guessing you'll want to hang on to that one for a while.

 
At 4:09 PM , Blogger Rat Trap Press said...

Yet another cool Jon Grinder creation! I'm looking forward to more photos.

 
At 5:44 PM , Blogger LvilleTex said...

Love how you just found and threw together such a cool rig. Very nice.

 
At 10:40 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Pondero: The 45s don't have a lot of room, so I will probably drop them down to 35s. And, yeah, I think this one is a keeper...

RTP and Tex69: Thanks, guys. It's almost like making art, to me, to build up bikes like this. I;m glad you appreciate them, as well.

 
At 11:32 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

Another fine bicycle. I do think it's an art form. Well done!

 
At 8:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow looks great! I have a red frame that size. Looks good. I t is a neat frame that was found a the recycling.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home