Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, August 01, 2010

Trying To Get Back in The Groove

Since returning home from Tennessee, last weekend, I haven't been doing much.  Work has been really busy, as I have tried to begin the catching up on backlogged work which came in while I was gone.  So, that helped keep me occupied during the day.

After work, though, I haven't had the mental energy to really get much done.  I have mostly come home, and sat with the dogs doing not much of anything.  I stare at the TV, but don't really watch it.  I haven't drawn anything, played or written any music, nor (obviously) have I done any blogging.

I've worried about my mom and my sister, and I have really wished I could still be with them.  I felt somewhat guilty for going home and leaving them with tasks undone.

I suppose all that adds up to what they refer to as "grieving". 

When Rich V. contacted me, earlier in the week, to see if I wanted to go on a longish mountain bike ride on Saturday, I hesitated to accept the invitation.  It seemed somehow disrespectful to Daddy to go out and enjoy myself, so soon after he passed.  But, eventually, it seemed more like the thing to do.  Getting out into the world, as I know it, again seemed like a good idea.  Plus, I thought the inherent physical demands of a long off-road trek would help cleanse the soul and clear the mind.

So it was that, yesterday, I piled into the back of the Visschers' mini-van and headed to Buffalo
Creek.  Other than getting carsick for the first time in 35 years, and throwing up all my breakfast on the side of the road, the day was awesome. 

The weather was beautiful, the trails were in great shape, and the guys I was riding with were all cool and riding together rather than trying to turn the ride into a race. 

We ended up with around 40 miles of offroad riding (and about a half-mile of pavement) by the time we got back to Rich's house, via the Colorado Trail through Waterton Canyon and Chatfield State Park.

Then, last night, Randy and I toured the Highlands with his sidecar-equipped scooter as we had dinner at one joint, beers at another, and ended up at Common Grounds for a late-night latte' on the way back to his place.

Today, I am a little sore, physically, and a bit tired in the bones.  But my mind and soul are feeling a little bit refreshed.

x

5 Comments:

At 1:15 PM , Blogger Rat Trap Press said...

It's good to see you posting again. I'm glad you're feeling somewhat better.

 
At 7:32 PM , Blogger MELI. said...

hydrate with coffee my friend! Ive missed ya! :D
best thoughts +vibes your way xxo.m

 
At 9:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you did the ride and had fun, always good for the heart and the head. Thx for taking care of my bike, can't wait to get on it. Carol

 
At 10:45 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

I'm so glad you got out for a ride, and even happier that it helped, at least a little bit. Don't feel guilty ... you have to keep doing what you need to do. It sounds like an awesome ride!

 
At 5:55 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

Puking up your breakfast doesn't sound so enjoyable, but I'm glad you got out on the bike with some friends.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home