Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Friday, July 09, 2010

Cherries and Almonds


 Having a little snack, out in the front yard shade cave.  Fresh cherries, raw almonds and Cranberry/Pomegranate  juice mixed with tonic water.  I figure I deserve a little treat.

Since 7:00, this morning, I have repaired a severely bent derailleur hanger on a LeMond Zurich (it was on a trunk rack when the car was backed into a concrete retaining wall), did laundry at the laundromat (and bought an old Takara mtb at the thrift store, which is in the same strip mall), chopped down a tree which was growing too close to the neighbor's fence, trimmed the shrubs next to the sidewalk, mowed the front and back yards and varnished the wine crate mounted to the old 3-speed conversion cruiser I built, last year.


I had loaned this bike to the gal who was renting the house to the south of me, last Spring, and just got it back a couple of weeks ago, since she was moving to Boston.  It has sat outside for a year, but fared pretty well with just some rust on the chain to show for it.  It needs a tune-up, and the wooden wine crate was beginning to dry out.  I figured I could tune it up, any time, but a nice 80-degree day with no rain would be a good time to get the wood sealed.  So, out came the can of Spar Varnish and the brush.

Looking over the gate, into the back yard, you can see how sunny it is.  It's hot back there, too.


 I prefer to hang out in the shady front yard, this time of day.

This is the Takara I picked up, this morning.  Another of the guys at work is looking for an "around town bike", and I hope that he goes for this one.  I can see it with BMX bars, a single chainring and the six-speed rear wheel, rocking some big fat slicks.

This style stem allows use of a BMX bar, without having to buy another stem.


This bike has a lot of what I consider to be cool features, notably the lugged frame, cast fork crown and metal head-tube badge.

If you have a Power Thumb, this is the shifter for you!

There can be only one!

I've not ridden a bike, today, other than an approximately 100-yard test ride on the LeMond.  I'm thinking I might get out for a night ride, tonight, and get some evening coffee.  Or, I might take a nap.  It all depends on how I feel by the time the sun goes down, I guess.

x

6 Comments:

At 6:31 PM , Blogger Steve A said...

So, ya gonna tell us how the varnish job came out?

 
At 6:42 PM , Blogger Jon said...

It came out pretty nice. You can see it in the photos of the front yard.

 
At 6:47 AM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

Careful with those old stems,I snapped one side of a Takrara stem like that one riding over a small curb.

 
At 10:29 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

I see you're keeping busy ... the wooden wine crate looks awesome. That Takara looks pretty similar to my Miyata.

I kept busy today too, busy on the bike that is. Rode century #3!

 
At 1:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Well Jon, I'm headed back to Denver this Friday. How does your schedule for the first week of August look? Ive got to get back into bike mode.

 
At 3:34 PM , Blogger Jon said...

First week of August is like every other week: chock full! But, I'm looking forward to seeing you. Give me a shout when you get into Denver.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home