Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

I Have Always Depended On The Kindness of Strangers...

...though, not quite in the same way as Blanche DuBois.

I woke up, this morning, not in the best of moods.  The whole day at work, yesterday, left me feeling a little grumpy, and I still haven't completely recovered, physically, from the ride on on Saturday.  So, as I rode to work, I was not in that great of a mood.

As I approached Cherry Drive, on the bike, I saw a familiar figure crossing the street.  It was a fellow whom I see walking along the sidewalk, occasionally, in bike shorts and carrying bike shoes.  I have always figured that he was heading to the Colorado Athletic Club, on his way to spinning class.  I give him a wave or a nod, if he happens to look around, but I have never had an opportunity to speak to him.

Today, though, we ended up at the corner together, each waiting for the other to go.

"After you,"  I said.

To which he replied, "Thanks.  I really admire what you're doing, by the way."

"What?"

"I see you riding all the time.  I really admire that."

"Well, thanks,"  I said, pedaling along at walking speed.  "I am actually hitting 10,000 consecutive commute miles, today."

"That's so great!"  he said.  "I really do admire that.  I think it's great!"

The kindness of a stranger...made my day.


Each day is two trips, on this report.  So, that shows 578 consecutive days of bicycle commuting to make 10,002.5 pedaling miles.  The 10,000 mile goal has been reached.

My new goal is to close out my 40s without driving to work.  My 49th birthday is May 3rd.  Therefore, I will try to ride to work until May 3, 2011, for my next goal.  Wish me luck.

x

6 Comments:

At 9:02 PM , Blogger Steve A said...

So, have YOU started predicting brake pad and tire life as well yet? I've noticed an unseemly gray dust on my new Kool Stop pads...

 
At 9:11 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Um...uhh...What?

 
At 9:26 PM , Blogger Oldfool said...

Uh, are brake pads those things that slow my bike slightly and rub some of the rust off my rims?

 
At 3:33 AM , Blogger Big Oak said...

Congratulations! That is an awesome achievement!

 
At 7:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOO HOO!! Congrats! This truly is a heck of an accomplishment. C

 
At 4:19 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

Wow, that is a LOT of mileage ... and that's just commuting! Just amazing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home