Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Y'Know What I Need?

That's right...another bike.

 
This is a 1989 Specialized RockCombo, a precursor to the Bridgestone XO series.  Like the XOs, the Combo was way ahead of its time, and a total sales flop.  It came with the Specialized version of the WTB Dirt Drop handlebar, with Suntour Bar-Cons and an all-Suntour parts group.

You can see a complete one here.

I actually got the frame and fork from a fellow in the Netherlands.  I looked for one, around here, for quite a while, starting not long after I for the XO.  I figured I might as well have another tig-welded, vintage all-rounder in the stable.  I seem to have a thing for them...

  
Triple-butted tubes, but still no lightweight.  

The paint needs a bit of touching-up, but the decals are in good shspe.



 This so 1980s:  
Designed In the USA
Made in Taiwan



 

Between the parts I already have, plus a couple of trades with Brad and Mark,  I have pretty much everything I need to build it up.  All I am missing is a Dirt Drop handlebar.  I'm thinking I might just use a Gary bar, like I have on the XO-2.

I don't intend to restore it to anything near stock.  While I appreciate Suntour parts as much as the next guy, I'll go with period-appropriate Shimano and Specialized parts since Shimano-compatible 7-speed cogsets, etc, are much easier to come up with.

More, later, as the build progresses.
x

4 Comments:

At 10:07 PM , Blogger getinlost said...

Yup. There it is, another hole in the head. However, I have no room to talk. Here's my new project. Mostly just clean and lube. http://getinlost.wordpress.com/2010/02/11/new-addition-to-the-harem/

 
At 8:53 AM , Blogger Brad said...

^^^YEA!!! The RSW folder!! I had one of those for years. Jon and I would take singletrack rides, him on his boneshaker, and me on the RSW. Jumps, drops, roots, rocks, you name I hit it. That thing never missed a beat. Mine looked EXACTLY like yours, I even had the same knobbys on it. Surprisingly the stock "grip shift" worked flawless. I put a bunch of miles on that stupid thing, and I am really bummed I gave it up.

Be careful of the hinge...that thing will take a finger off like the french took heads. It's like it was made for chopping things.

GREAT FIND, hang on to it.

 
At 5:04 PM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

Hmmm? I thought they were all painted teal in the back, never saw an all white one.

 
At 7:24 PM , Blogger Jon said...

They listed both in the catalog. I think more of the half-teal ones were shipped, though. The 80s, y'know...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home