Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Long-Awaited All-Rounder Project Finally Commences, Plus: Bike Building as Therapy

Some of you may recall that I have an antique Iver Johnson truss-framed bike, which I fixed up a couple of years ago. I have always loved the look of the truss frames, and I have this bike hanging on the wall of the shop, ready to ride but unridden. I have yet to find an appropriate brake to mount on it, and I just can't bring myself to ride a 100 year-old brakeless bike on the street.

So, when Daryl Funk asked me to design an all-rounder bike for Funk Bicycles (after I had talked his ear off about my "ideal bike" for 6 months), I drew it up around the truss frame form. Daryl sold me the prototype at a price reflecting my contribution, or I would never be able to afford it. If it turns out to be a nice-riding bike, it will go in the Funk catalog as The Daily Grind, and will retail for around $2500.00.

I gave it modern geometry (73.5 degree seat tube angle, 72.5 degree head tube angle when fitted with a 420mm axle to crown fork), and a bottom bracket height which should allow for use of either 29er mountain wheels and tires, or 650b mountain tires. Of course, road tires could be mounted, if needed.

The angles can be slackened by using either a suspension-correct 470mm fork, or a suspension fork, if you want less steering sensitivity.

The chain stays are telescopic, so that the chain can be tensioned if you run a single, fixed or internally-geared hub. (That is a trademark Funk design.)

And...it's titanium.

In order to achieve the near-horizontal top tube/classic shape of the frame, on a 29er, you can not build this frame any smaller than mine (21.5" seat tube, 22.5" top tube). So, it's sort of a one size fits 5'10" and up frame. With dirt drops or mustache bars, and the right stem, the cockpit is perfect for me. With flat bars and/or a longer stem, you could fit quite a bit taller of a rider than I, and that rider would simply have more seat post showing. (I will have about 4" of seat post, the proverbial fistful of post, showing).

To fit a smaller rider would require a sloped top tube, which precludes using the truss design (at least, to my sense of aesthetics).

Therapeutic Bike Building

I'll be building this bike up, tomorrow (or possibly in the middle of the night, tonight) in order to avoid pacing the floor. As I was driving home from picking up the frame, my dad called and told me that my mom had been taken to the hospital, this morning, because she was having trouble breathing.

Momma has a history of heart problems, and is on medication for it. After spending all day in the ER, she had just been moved to a room before Daddy called me (yeah, we are Southern - I still call them Momma and Daddy). So, he was heading back to the hospital to stay with her, and won't call until tomorrow morning, unless something changes.

I need something to keep my hands and mind busy. Sometimes, it's nice to have a project to keep you sane.

So, I should have a Valentine's Day treat for you all, tomorrow...

x

5 Comments:

At 9:10 PM , Blogger katina said...

Sorry to hear about your mom, i hope everything comes out okay.

Also, I like the retro look of the bike.

 
At 5:09 AM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

I hope your Mom is OK Jon.

Love the frame,I have never seen a truss frame in Ti before,can't wait to see it built up.

 
At 6:27 AM , Blogger Big Oak said...

I hope your mother is OK.

Can't wait to see your new bike!

 
At 11:59 AM , Blogger Erich Z said...

More get-well-wishes for your family. Hope everything goes well.

I was actually just thinking how awesome truss bikes are yesterday, after seeing one on ANT's website. Neat, especially with those super-slack angles on that antique you've got there. I can see why you'd update the geometry for the new all-rounder though. Looks promising!

 
At 6:02 AM , Anonymous Charles said...

Jon, I just read about you mom. My thoughts and prayers go out to her and all your family.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home