Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Monday, January 25, 2010

No, You're Not Seeing Double


These are two 57cm Miyata Six-Ten touring bikes that I picked up, this weekend. They are not completely identical, however.

This is a 1984 model. I will be selling it, but I need to decide whether I am going to convert it to 700c wheels and overhaul it, first, or just put it up for sale as is. I know that a lot of touring riders have pretty clear-cut preferences on components, wheels, etc. and I think that those guys just basically want the frame and fork. People who are going to ride a stock bike might probably just buy a newer bike.

Maybe. I'm still thinking about it.

This one is from 1983. There are very slight differences in spec, and this one has an actual head-tube badge (rather than a decal). My buddy mark is going to get this one, to build up a mixed-terrain/commuter/grocery-run bike.

I'm just glad that they are too big for me with a 33" stand-over height (although the 56cm top tube is perfect for me), otherwise I would be tempted to keep one for myself. And, I don't really need another bike...

Catalog pages here and here, if you are interested.

x

8 Comments:

At 6:26 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

I was wondering if a person could switch from 27" wheels to 700c. I imagine the primary concern is adjusting the brake pads down so they meet the smaller 700c rim, correct? Is there anything else to be concerned with? I'm thinking about converting one of my 27" bikes to 700c.

I can't wait to see what you do with the mixed terrain/grocery conversion. I noticed there are two eyelets near each front drop out. Is that for fenders and a front rack do you suppose?

Good luck on your project. Keep us updated!

 
At 6:50 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Yeah, if you can get the brakes lined up, you're golden. On some cantilever-equipped bikes, this is problematic. I have already test-fit a 700c wheel on the back, and everything works out fine, even with the stock brakes (sometimes, you have to swap out to a newer brake with more vertical adjustment).

The coolest thing about going to 700c wheels on these bikes is that it allows you to run a tire up to 38c width. And, that leaves room for fenders (or mud, if you ride off-road).

 
At 8:13 PM , Blogger Oldfool said...

These bikes are for Giants! I'd need a stepladder. They are pretty though.

 
At 8:26 PM , Blogger Rat Trap Press said...

Wow, I'm guessing that you picked them up together. How did you manage that?

I'd say just clean up the one you're going to sell and sell it "as is" with the 27" wheels.

 
At 10:10 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

Beautiful bikes! If I were in the market for a bike like this, I might be interested (but I'm not). Personally I would want 700c wheels, if my anecdotal opinion means anything.

 
At 11:29 PM , Blogger Noah said...

Man... if that first one was a 54... Sexy Sexy!

 
At 8:19 PM , Blogger willyh said...

I wonder if you could take a picture of the badge on the one? I have a Miyata 1000LT I rebuilt and I'd love to try to create a badge for it.

 
At 9:07 AM , Blogger Jon said...

Willyh, I will shoot a couple shots of the head badge, tonight, and post them here on the blog.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home