Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Mutant Saddle

This is an old ADGA saddle that was on my commuter bike, a couple of years ago. It's wasn't too pretty, but it was the most comfortable saddle I owned.

One day, on the way to work, the leather gave way and the nose fell off. I laced it back together and got home with it, then replaced it.

Today, I decided to use the Red Rockhopper to commute on, for a couple of days. But, I didn't have a saddle for it. So, rather than swap a saddle over from another bike, I pulled this one out.

The adjusting bolt was exposed on the front of the saddle, and I was concerned about it catching the seat of my pants and ripping them. Hoping to prevent that, I decided to graft the nose from an Ideale 39, which was splitting, onto the ADGA.

I hacksawed the nose off of the Ideale, fitted it in place, and glued the two pieces of leather together with Shoe Goo. Voila... a usable saddle.

We'll see how long it lasts. The lacing actually supports the saddle, so the nose doesn't really have all of the tension on that it would, otherwise. So, it may last a good long time.

Or, it may fall apart, tomorrow.

x

4 Comments:

At 7:13 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

If the Shoe Goo doesn't hold, try some Gorilla Glue. Looks like a comfortable saddle.

 
At 7:25 PM , Blogger Oldfool said...

I would make it work no matter what because it looks so cool. Then when it didn't work I would have it in my living room as art. That thing is just beautiful.

 
At 8:24 PM , Blogger getinlost said...

Is it the fact that you use ancient saddles. or that you have terrible luck? I remember a tale in a far off land of saddle woes and the miracle of the LBS.

 
At 1:00 AM , Blogger MELI. said...

hope it all dries well. I really wouldnt wanna see your next post being -gorilla glue incident, my friends...

xo.m

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home