Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Friday, January 29, 2010

A Rare, Work-Related Post

I rode the XO-2 to work, today, just to see if I was actually getting slower and slower, or if it has something to do with the gearing/tires on the Raleigh.

Apparently, it is about the bike. I got to work in what I consider to be my normal time (33 minutes), rather than the 38 to 40 minutes I've been riding for the past few weeks. Now, I know 5 minutes doesn't sound like much of a difference, but it's a ~15% increase in riding time.

Now, I'm wondering if I've always been this slow on the Raleigh, and just didn't notice it, or if I'm slowing down. I know that I got to work, regularly, in 33 minutes on the Ghetto bike, but it had smaller tires and a higher gear ratio.

I'm thinking that I may have some modifications in store for the Raleigh...

Also at the office, I am working on an Accidental Art Project. I posted up some pictures and details here.



Run over to 52 Card Pickup to see it.

x

6 Comments:

At 7:34 PM , Blogger Oldfool said...

It's probably that you just kick back on the Raleigh. Besides 5 minutes is nothing.

 
At 4:49 AM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

I suppose (devil girl)Brittany wouldn't be appropriate for work huh?Maybe you could give her a bikini.LOL!

 
At 6:08 AM , Blogger Big Oak said...

I'm sure tires will make a difference, but I wonder if it might be related to the geometry of your bike. If the geometry of your xo-2 frame is similar to your ghetto bike frame, then it's probably the tires. But if the ghetto bike is more compact, I think you are using your bike muscles more efficiently.

 
At 12:11 PM , Blogger MELI. said...

those bags are nice!

 
At 7:19 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Meli: I love those Basil bags. They are a bit large for daily commute use, but they are also very easy to mount and remove. So, I use them for occasional needs, such as using one of my recreational bikes for an occasional commute.

 
At 8:18 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

Those Basil panniers look fantastic. Very nice.

It's interesting that the bike makes that much difference. I've felt sluggish lately too, but when I get on the Trucker I suddenly feel fast again, my beater is just a bit of a dog.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home