Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Saturday, January 02, 2010

Got That First Century Ride Under My Belt, Today

Slow and painful describes the ride pretty well. I spent over 7 hours on the bike, a bit more than 8 hours out on the trail. Now, I am never real fast on a Century. In fact, that time is about average for me.

Usually, however, I don't ride on trails that look like this for 35 or 40 miles out of the 100. The effort required to not only stay upright, but to just keep moving forward, made this more of a mixed-terrain ride than the normal paved ride I would have preferred.

There was a constant wind from the northwest, which translated to a head wind for much of the ride. The temperature was about 10 degrees cooler than yesterday, and the 35 degree F temps plus the wind made me feel chilled pretty much the whole time I was out.

Perversely, the effort required to deal with the snow and ice made me sweat to the point that everything I had on was soaked. Luckily, the wool and man-made wicking materials I was wearing still provided some warmth.

If you look at the large version of this picture, you can see the Denver skyline just over the rack on the bike. This is from the opposite side of town compared to the same shot from yesterday.
This shot was taken on top of the hill at Bear Creek Lake State Park.

Here's a shot showing some of the clouds which apparently dropped some snow, up in the mountains. Down here, they just shaded us and kept the temperatures low. (Looking in the opposite direction from the same spot as the photo, above.)

The route was mostly paved bike path, with a few miles of connector roads from and back to my house. In short: Cherry Creek Trail south to the 470 Trail. 470 Trail to Bear Creek Lake State Park and on to the Bear Creek Greenway. Bear Creek to the South Platte Trail. South on the Platte for a few miles, just to add some mileage, then back north to Confluence Park. From there, Cherry Creek Trail South, past where I turn to go home. Added some miles before turning around, to make the mileage come up to 99.68.

And, no, I am not going to ride around the block to make it exactly 100 miles. Close enough, for me.

Now, to collapse on the couch, and recover.

x

11 Comments:

At 7:24 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

Wow, you're serious about this century thing. Great job! Only 11 more to go...

 
At 7:58 PM , Blogger Oldfool said...

If this builds character you must have a lot of it.

 
At 8:01 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Well, I've certainly been called a character, a few times.

 
At 9:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

 
At 9:15 PM , Blogger kG said...

A century on trails... ugh, and with that scenery.... you're a lucky man.

 
At 9:10 AM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

I would go for a ride today,but it is snowing so hard that I can hardly see the barn from the house.Only about 50ft away.If the blizzard would stop you know I'd be out there.

I agree with commutter dude, great scenery,that makes dealing with the cold all the more bearable.

 
At 7:16 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

Wow, looks like a great ride! And very challenging ... you must feel good about that. Looking forward to seeing your other century rides!

 
At 7:27 PM , Blogger Drifty Leftwright said...

Jon,

I've been reading your blog for a while, and neglecting to comment. Not that there hasn't been plenty that interested me.

Anyway, I once rode in a friend's support van on a century and found that was enough work for me!

Long off-topic comment/query: Some time ago you wrote a couple of posts about the metal scrap yard full of bike frames. Could I discreetly inquire about that location? I have sisters in Lafayette and Boulder and I usually find myself in the general Denver area for a week or two in the late springtime. If I could scrounge around in piles of bikes for an afternoon, that would make my trip.

 
At 8:18 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Apertome: Thanks for the encouragement.

Drifty: The old guy who owns the junkyard is either incapacitated, or dead. I'm not sure which.

Anyway, I don't think that the public is even allowed in, at this point, because the wife is trying to sell. I haven't been up there in quite a while. I seem to be persona non-grata with J.R., but my buddy Mark still talks to a couple of the employees, on occasion.

The general area is York and (I think) about 29th. Google Earth that area, and you can see the whole shebang, from above, and get a better idea of the address.

If you go, let me know how it turns out.

And, welcome to the machine...

 
At 3:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hard Rockin'Jonny G,
You may not have broken any land speed records, but you surely had a beautiful riding companion. The Bridgestone is a beauty.
FMM

 
At 9:04 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Thanks, RRRRRaaaaaannnnnddddddaaaalllll! Right now, that Bridgestone is about my favorite bike.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home