Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Friday, December 11, 2009

New Tires and Bar Wrap On the XO-2

I ordered the Schwalbe XC Pro 26 cross tires from Amazon (couldn't find them locally), and opted for the free shipping. According to the terms for shipping, that meant that they wouldn't be guaranteed to ship before the 11th (today). I was in no hurry, so I opted to not spend $11.00 on shipping.

They got here, yesterday...from two different warehouses. Glad I took the Free Shipping!

I wrapped the bars above the brake levers with cork tape, much like the bikes were shipped from the factory in 1992. I ordered a 12-32 7-speed cogset (which hasn't yet arrived), so that I don't have to worry about iffy shifting with the 7-speed shifters and current 8-speed cogset. Might as well keep it period-appropriate, I guess, especially since SRAM 7-speed cogsets are about $15.00, shipped.

We are beginning to get a bit of thawing . It's above freezing for the first time in 8 days! About freaking time...

I also got some bolt-on bag loops for my Brooks Professional. They came from Velo Orange, and allow me to use the 6-way bag on this bike.

I think the bike is now complete. I contemplated putting the fenders and rack on it, but I just don't like the way that mountain bike fenders look with the narrow tires. And, I really like how clean the bike looks, as is. Although, if I were to stumble upon a narrow 26" set of hammered Honjos, I would probably go for them.

As for the lack of a rack; I can always carry my messenger bag if I need to carry stuff.

I might put the kickstand on it, later, but I have to think about it. It all really depends on whether or not I rebuild and sell the Red RockHopper. I really should, since I am trying to cut down on the number of bikes I have. And, I probably will. But, I don't think I'll bother doing so until Spring, when someone might actually pay for it. I'm a bit tired of virtually giving bikes away.

Anyway, I am very happy with the XO. I think the Pearl White paint looks awesome, the tires are cool and the whole bike suits me very well.

Now, if I could only get a ride in...

x

10 Comments:

At 3:51 PM , Blogger Rat Trap Press said...

The bike is looking good. Looking at the road conditions in your photos, I don't see how you could get along without fenders. By the way, that's a really cool bag.

 
At 5:05 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

I know it's not the XO-1 you've always wanted, but I bet it's close. Looks like a great winter bike, and a great off-road bike too.

 
At 5:48 PM , Blogger Jon said...

RTP: Thanks. Our roads are really not in that condition, very often. Give us a couple of sunny days, and they'll be dry.

Since I do have other bikes with fenders, I think I can live with this on being "naked".

Big Oak: I'm really looking forward to hitting the dirt on it. All of my bikes are set up for "mixed terrain" rides. Some are more road oriented, some more dirt oriented; but all of them are capable on just about any surface.

 
At 9:37 PM , Blogger Noah said...

Insta-jealous.

 
At 12:50 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Got the same machine, same color, original slicks which work well in wet Portland. My favoritest out of the herd.

 
At 2:09 AM , Blogger MELI. said...

ha haaa yea good tires, but look at you - good looking!! :D

 
At 10:14 AM , Blogger MariaH said...

I've got a '92 XO-2 which is my daily commuter and I love her. She's dark green and sporting a honey brooks, VO elk hide bar covers on the m-bars and black fenders. I also found a bag at an Aurora thrift store that is strkingly similar to something from Rivendell's store....only it was $2.95. I use it as my under-seat bag.

 
At 10:51 AM , Blogger Jon said...

Ah, Meli...you make my heart go pitter-pat!

MariaH: I've seen your blog, but I was wondering why it ended in June. How was Ragbrai? We should meet up for coffee, some time, and introduce the XOs.

 
At 7:39 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

What can I say? The bike looks completely awesome!

 
At 10:26 AM , Blogger c-record said...

nice XO. i kinda wish i still had my XO2 from 10 years ago. do you need another stem for it or any of your other builds? i have a stem like the one on your bike now... it's a NOS nitto dynamic II, 110mm, black, 25.4 bar clamp. let me know if interested.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home