Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Friday Mountain Biking

Friday, I started the day out right. Coffeee, bike, the only newspaper I trust. Nice, relaxing start to the day.

This old Raleigh 3-speed is parked outside of Kaladi Brothers, pretty often. Not sure to whom it belongs. I wish they hadn't sprayed black over the original yellow paint. You see a lot of these which are black, but yellow would be fairly distinctive. Still, a nice bike underneath.

Eventually, I left the coffee shop and rode down to Peoria and Arapahoe Road, where I met Carol, and loaded up in her car. She drove us down to Greenland, where I did the 24-hour race, earlier this summer, for a mountain bike ride. This glove was stuck on a metal pole, giving everyone who came by the "thumbs up".


We rode over to Spruce Mountain Open Space, just across the railroad tracks, and did the Mountain Loop. It was a pretty nice ride, with a good climb to the top, then a rolling "lollipop" loop in top.

Who is that mysterious rider?


Best-looking picture of me that I've seen in a while. Amazing how some strategically placed shadows can soften the imperfections of one's face!


On the way back down, we passed this on the side of the trail. It wasn't there on our way up. Pretty mysterious. (That's an Evian water bottle, by the way.)
Back to my house, where the day ended with burgers and fries, cooked on the grill (my grill has a stove burner on one end, where I fried the potatoes.)
It was a pretty nice late-summer day, well spent. Twenty-five miles on the 29er, dirt and pavement combined.
x

6 Comments:

At 5:15 PM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

My friend and fellow rider Jim S.that runs the Ohio City Bicycle COOP has a found glove collection,almost the entire international alphabet(none of the glove shapes have been altered they are all as found)and almost every symbol and expletive you can possibly imagine.It's a rather strange collection admitedly but everyone seems to like it.

 
At 5:26 PM , Blogger Rat Trap Press said...

That is some beautiful scenery you've got out there.

 
At 8:55 PM , Anonymous Richard said...

Jon you're looking skinny!

 
At 10:03 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

Looks like a fun ride! I haven't gotten out mountain biking in ages, hopefully once I get back to IN I will get out more often.

 
At 8:07 PM , Blogger Doohickie said...

That old formerly yellow Raleigh... looks like it might be a Sprite.

 
At 7:02 AM , Blogger Jon said...

I think you are right. i saw one of the baristas riding it, the other day, and noticed that it is a freewheel/derailleur bike which has benn singlespeeded, ghetto-style.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home