Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Replaced The Orange Stumpjumper

A couple of weeks ago, I sold the orange StumpJumper I had built up XO1-style. I had put way too much money into it, thinking I would be using it as my main mountain bike. Once I realized that I like the 29er better, I couldn't justify keeping it.

But, I still wanted a bike built up in that style. I like the look of it, and it is a great "around-town" bike.

So, I pulled out a tig-welded RockHopper frame I had lying about, and started raiding the parts bins and junk boxes out in the bike shop.

I had the Campy Racing Triple drive train which came off of my LeMond when I converted it to single-speed. Carol's old 8-speed Ergo shifters went on, since I didn't have any bar-end shifters.
.
The brake lever on the right Ergo was ground down to a point when Carol's bike fell half off the bike rack, going down the highway. I took some quick-set JBWeld (the mechanic's friend), and molded a new end onto the brake lever. So far, it works fine.

The wheels are off of my old DiamondBack Voyager II, and the cogset is an 8-speed titanium stack from Specialized, circa 1998.

You can see the rebuilt brake lever in this view.

I ordered a modified military surplus bag, along with leather straps, from Out Your Backdoor, and installed it as a saddle bag. It was cheaper than buying a bag and straps, locally, even.

The only new parts I had to buy were: tires, tubes, cables and housing, and bar wrap.

I rode it to meet Brad, this morning, as we went to Wash Perk coffeeshop. Check the ACW blog for a review, soon.

x

6 Comments:

At 9:39 PM , Blogger Erich Z said...

Nice looking town/trail rat. I am thinking of putting some M-bars on my 90s Fuji mtn bike, but it's got Shimano 7 speed indexed on flat bars right now, and I'm not sure how to solve that shifter dilemma. I also have these bullmoose-style bars, but the integrated stem is BMX sized, not the 22.2 you need. Could I shim it?

 
At 8:30 AM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

Love the bike,and love the bag.I went to OYB and ordered 2.

 
At 8:35 AM , Blogger Jon said...

Erich: You can shim the smaller diameter stem (I've even run them without a shim, on occasion). Bar-end shifters are the way to go if you use the M-bars, but some of the older thumbshifters and brake levers can be made to fit, if you have a file or a Dremel, and a lot of desire.

Frankenbiker: I did the wooden-stick modification to mine, to keep it from swaying. I had ridden all day, without it, and never noticed any swaying while I rode, but I just didn't like how it would end up off-center to the saddle by the time I stopped.

 
At 9:32 AM , Blogger Jerome said...

Great looking bike for sure!

Hey, any chance more of those caffeine powered wheelmen pins will be available soon?

Cheers.

 
At 9:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely.

 
At 7:49 PM , Blogger J ustin. said...

Do you still have your Portage? Would you be willing to think bout selling it?

If so, email me: justin@thesixman.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home