Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Adventures in Traffic

As I rode home, yesterday, I approached an intersection just as another vehicle approached. This "intersection" is actually a park access road, and doesn't have a Stop Sign.

Since I was turning right, into Garland Park, I wasn't too concerned when it became apparent that the other guy wasn't going to stop.

However, I did become somewhat alarmed when, as he was turning left, the jackass swung across his oncoming lane in order to "cut the corner" and not slow down.

"DUDE!" I yelled, for lack of any other response. Luckily, he heard me, hit the brakes and swerved to the right, almost losing control. I had come to an almost complete stop, and managed to avoid being plowed into.

Now, this particular "corner cutting" behavior is prevalent amongst car-drivers here in Denver. I see it every day, so I should have been prepared for it.

But, this wasn't a car. The guy was on a bike.

You'd think that if anyone was going to be paying attention to bikes on the road, it would be a guy on a bike. But, he was just riding along, as oblivious to his surroundings as any cager.

I hope that I woke him up enough to get where he was going, safely.

Ironically, I encountered nothing but courteous auto drivers on the ride.

Damn bicycle punks!

X

10 Comments:

At 11:33 AM , Blogger Apertome said...

What a chump. I am continually amazed at the things I see cyclists doing, especially here in PA. The vast majority of people I see on bikes are kids on BMX bikes, and they ride incredibly erratically.

 
At 12:45 PM , Blogger katina said...

yesterday I was driving in to work and I noticed that there was some idiot on a bike (sans helmet), riding on the freeway and trying to haul balls across an on ramp. He cut through a group of cops, lost control on the other side of the ramp, hit the curb, endo-ed and went flying into the pomegranate trees. I'm guessing that his front tire was pretty FUBARed.

 
At 1:09 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Speaking of which; how is your knee?

 
At 1:45 PM , Blogger Charlotte said...

We had a similar situation recently. We were on our road bikes doing a 400k brevet, and I for one was pretty tired. As we rode along the road we came to a bike path crossing. There is a "Caution: Bikes" sign, but no stop sign.
Some folks on their hybrids were miffed that we didn't stop to allow them to cross the street unimpeded. I think if I'd have stopped I would have fallen over, but that's neither here nor there.
In bike vs. bike, how is the right of way determined?

 
At 2:55 PM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

The world would be a lot better place if everyone would just show a little more courtesy towards others.

Not to toot my own horn, but I try to thank drivers when they give me a wide berth,a little wave or a thanks! goes a long way to the way they think of other cyclists.

As far as bicyclists not paying attention,we are the last people who should be riding around oblivious to our surroundings.I am sure everyone will agree with that.

Check out www.bikesalmon.com for pics of people doing stupid things on bikes.

 
At 4:47 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

I was cut off by a biker a while back. He signaled left from the right lane (on a one-way, 2-lane street), stared me in the eyes, then cut across both lanes just in front of me. I was in my car (I always give cyclists a wide berth) and he almost ran himself under my tires.

Anyway, the world is filled with jerks - some ride bikes, some drive cars. Some do both.

I like Frankenbiker's attitude, and I try to practice it regularly. Sometimes I find myself waving with 1 finger though.

 
At 9:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

These adventures sometimes can turn out to be dangerous for the bikers as well as others, so it becomes necesaary for the police to take the action against them.

Dimitri

Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step

 
At 10:29 PM , Blogger Doohickie said...

Rotten punks get off my lawn!

(You're getting old, Jon ;- )

 
At 10:12 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I canĀ“t wait till all these hipsters get off the roads

 
At 7:16 PM , Blogger katina said...

The knee is doing amazingly well. I think Shawn's jealous because he's always had nasty cuts that would take forever to heal.

knock on wood.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home