Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Man, What's With the Weather?

Last year, on this date, the high temp in Denver ws in the upper 90s, and we were all worried about fire danger and dead grass on the lawns. Today, we are supposed to barely crack the 70 degree mark, and the ditches are full of run-off from the last few days' rains.

I left the house a bit early, this morning, to meet Scott H at Starbuck's, over at Krameria and Colfax. Scott is transferring to another office, so I wanted to treat him to a beverage on our last day of riding in together.

I left the house wearing legwarmers under my Knickers (manpris), a long-sleeved Craft base layer shirt, a wool sweater and a cap under my helmet. I thought that I was ridiculously overdressed for the middle of summer, yet I stopped within a quarter mile and added my rain jacket to the mix. The cold North wind was cutting right through me, and the sun was not yet rising to provide any warmth.

The coffee and scone warmed me up, but I still put the jacket back on when we left Starbuck's.

Strange weather, even for Denver, the capital of meteorological weirdness.

X

6 Comments:

At 9:27 AM , Blogger Jayson said...

Right with you. Seattle is roasting, and we're just not used to it. 103 yesterday.

 
At 10:42 AM , Blogger Big Oak said...

Yea, I rode in today with t-shirt, thermal jersey, and cycling tights. It was cold. The highs here have been in the 60's and 70's since early June. We've had only a few days above 80. Our normal highs are 85 for this time of year. Not complaining, though, I like the cooler weather.

 
At 11:44 AM , Blogger Brad said...

Amen brother Jon. When I emerged from the basement of Treads yesterday to ride home, I could have sworn the rain I was in was a degree from being snow. Yea, it's like David Lynch saying "That's weird".

 
At 2:23 PM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

The weather has been strange this year,we haven't cracked 90 in Ohio yet and it seems like it can be 80 one minute then 55 and raining the next.Hey at least I am not in Phoenix, dry heat or not 110 is 110!

Jayson,what's the humidty like in Seattle?.

Blame it on Al Gore,LOL!

 
At 2:59 PM , Blogger Jayson said...

frankenbiker:
fortunately for us the humidity is only around 30-40%, which is low for the are. But for us unacclimated folk it's still just way to hot.

And 103 for Seattle yesterday was officially the hottest day ever on record for the city. Hurrah for a window AC unit in the basement!

 
At 6:43 PM , Blogger Doohickie said...

On hand, I think EVERY region likes to think of themselves as the capital of meteorological weirdness.

But besides that, I've noticed a similar skew here in Texas. It barely hit 90 today, which is a good 10-15 degrees off the typical temperature for the year. And overnight lows in the 60s!

Unlike you guys, though, this just makes the cycling more pleasant here. I'm kinda likin' it.

;-P

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home