Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Squirrel Suicide

I have a bad effect on squirrels. The nasty little rodents have a way of meeting with bad ends around me.

The two or three of you who regularly read these cyber-scribblings may recall that I had a sucidal Rocket J run under my wheels last winter, and I rolled over him with my full weight on the studded snow tires. It seemed imprudent to try and bunnyhop him while riding on a street-wide sheet of ice.

These last couple of weeks, I have been getting out of the house a bit earlier than normal. It's not on purpose; I just seem to be getting ready earlier. Because of this, I have been getting to the intersection of Hudson and Montview about 10 minutes earlier than normal.

That intersection is where I join up with Scott, a coworker, and then continue on to the lab with company.

Since I've been getting there so far ahead of schedule, I have been turning east onto Montview, riding over to Krameria, then south to Colfax, where I wait for Scott to cross (I just don't want to cross there two times, so I don't go past Colfax).

Today, as I rode down Montview, I met another cyclist just as we both crossed Kearney. As I waved at him, I saw something from the corner of my eye. Then... SPLAT!

A squirrel had apparently had enough of acorn gathering and had leapt from one of the large trees at the intersection, meeting his rat-like maker upon impact with the pavement.

Or, maybe there are squirrel pirates, and he had been forced to "walk the limb". I don't know.

All I know is that I apparently have some bad squirrell juju going!

X

8 Comments:

At 1:45 PM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

Squirrel Pirates, "ARRRGH!" now walk the limb and off to Davey Jones intersection with ya,you scurvy nut stealing dog,LOL! now that deserves a drawing on your part Jon.I want to see it in a couple of days on the Daily Grind.

 
At 2:31 PM , Blogger Bobby D. said...

Are you sure that a moose didn’t push the poor little guy into your path?

 
At 4:09 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

Wow, that's a bummer. You could look at it as a more humane suicide being struck by a bicyclist as opposed to being creamed by a dirty, exhaust belching, monster truck:)

 
At 4:34 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

Geez! We better keep an eye on those squirrels, they may try to exact their revenge at any point.

 
At 4:52 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Moose and squirrel do not worry me!

 
At 8:18 PM , Blogger RidesaSurly said...

I saw that dead squirrel this morning on my way down Montview...

 
At 11:01 PM , Blogger Doohickie said...

Get one of these and the squirrels will leave you alone. The note on this particular model seems to send squirrels AWAY from my bike, and fast!

 
At 12:55 PM , Blogger katina said...

yeah, normally if someone has 2 dogs (at least one of which is a Rat Terrier), I assume that the "bad luck for squirrels" is somehow directly related to the dogs...but not so with you.

I guess that means you're special.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home