Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Saturday, July 18, 2009

A Rough Version of The V-Strom Bike Rack

I have a little more drilling and bolting to do, but the bike rack is operational. I built it using two of the arms from an indoor bike storage rack, some 1/8"x3/4" flat steel and some 1" box-section steel. No welding required.

I chose to do a simple frame hanger, and carry the wheels off the bike, just to keep things from getting too complicated. It also keeps the overall length of the motorbike from growing too much.

I took it out for a test ride, and everything seemed fine, except that I got a little more bouncing/swaying motion than I wanted as I hit dips and bumps on the city streets. At 80 mph on the highway, everything felt pretty normal. I could feel a bit of a pull to the right, but I figure having a loaded side case on the left will balance that out, some.

I stopped by the house, and added this strap across the seat to keep the bounce/sway from happening. I also added some preload to the shock, and went for another ride. Much better on the surface streets, and virtually unnoticeable on the highway.
I think I might run over to Mt. Falcon with it, tomorrow, for its inaugural ride.
x

4 Comments:

At 6:51 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

Dang, that's really cool. You are serious about not burning gas. Good Job!

 
At 7:58 AM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

Cool Jon,I wonder if you could stop the swaying by using a fork mount tray from a roof rack,or would that make it stick off the back to much with the rear wheel attached.

 
At 11:56 AM , Blogger Jon said...

I considered going that route, but I didn't like the extra length. Plus, it involved a great deal more fabricating. I don't have a welder, and I didn't really want to try and braze something up, so I started exploring how to adapt existing hardware in the fewest possible steps.

Darryl said I could borrow his welder, later in the week, but I kinda wanted to get moving on the project. It's been on the back burner for a month.

It's dead solid with the addition of the transverse strap, so I'm happy with it. Now, I just to need to do a little clean-up and painting...

 
At 12:28 AM , Blogger stephenehpets said...

I saw you on 70 a few weeks ago and almost ran off the road. Freakin' cool.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home