Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

I'm Tough on Wheels, I Guess

This is the rear wheel on the Ghetto Orange commuter. Look closely, and you may be able to make out the four broken spokes (two on each side). Four... that's how many I broke on the DiamondBack snow bike before I gave up and built another snow bike. But, I broke those one at a time.

Bad part is, I don't really know how I broke them. I'm sure it's related to the curb jumping I do on the way home. All I know is, the rear wheel made an odd noise as I jumped up onto the curb at Cherry Street, after crossing the Evans/I-25 on-ramp. I looked down as I was riding, and I could see the wheel flex.

Since I was only about a quarter-mile from home, I just rode on, and checked the wheel once I got there.

I swapped the wheels out for a set of flip/flop 29er wheels I had in the shop. Hopefully the heavier-duty rim and spokes on the mtb specific wheel will hold up better than the 36 hole track wheels.

That's two rear wheels I've trashed on that bike. I may have to do something a bit more drastic to fix the problem.

x

4 Comments:

At 3:21 AM , Blogger Big Oak said...

Bummer. I feel your pain. As a fellow breaker of many spokes, I believe they are breaking from fatigue. I know properly tensioned spokes are supposed to last a long time, but constant use has to wear on them.

 
At 6:28 AM , Blogger getinlost said...

Ppffftt... Nah, It's because of your monstrous tree trunks you have for legs. The spokes just can't handle that much torque.

 
At 1:32 PM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

Bummer,I haven't broken a spoke in 2 yrs. even on my dirt jump bike, I guess I am just lucky!Now I've gone and jinxed myself-right?

 
At 5:17 PM , Anonymous Chasing the Break said...

You've always had tough luck with wheels. Remember the 10 penny nail through the rim you picked up on the way into the shop? And the tire still held air until you pulled the mutha out. It's the bike god's just keeping you doing what you love. Consider yourself blessed.
Note: I changed the name on my blog.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home