Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Well, I Was Wrong...

I was wrong when I ended the September 9th post by saying I figured I had broken everything I could on a single-speed drivetrain. Look closely at the sidewall of the rim, in the picture above, and you'll see that it is bulged out and about to fail. (Click the picture for the BIG version, and it's pretty obvious.)

I don't run rear brakes on the yellow bike, so I never felt this wide spot going by as I rode. I just happened to see it as I was looking at something on the front wheel. Glad I saw it before it let go, completely.

So, I swapped the wheels from the orange Peugeot over onto this bike. I'll get some replacement rims and rebuild the bad wheels, sometime or another.

What next?

x

2 Comments:

At 7:00 AM , Blogger Phatatude said...

How do you think that happened? The fact that it is on one side only says it should be a rim pinch. I guess it still could be... Things that make ya go Hmmm

 
At 9:38 AM , Blogger Jon said...

You can actually see the crack foerming in the rim sidewall, parallel to the tire bead. I think it's just a bad rim.

The front rim from this set has a low-high-low spot that makes the whole bike shudder like Courtney Love at rehab, when you hit the brakes. So, I'm just going to get a couple of Sun rims, or something, and rebuild these. I like the hubs, and I don't want them to go to waste.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home