Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Mountain Bikey News

Look closely and you can see the TREK STP sitting in amongst the foliage. This was about halfway between Pence Park and Lair O' The Bear, yesterday.

I took off from the house, yesterday morning and, after a stop at Kaladi Brothers for some coffee and scone (plus a bagel, egg and cheese sandwich I had made at home), I headed west to Mt. Falcon. I was planning on doing the ride which got cut short when I broke my derailleur, a while back.

I made the climb, and looped around back to Morrison, and completed the 5 Parks loop with the same equipment on the bike that I had left home with.

After lunch at the Blue Cow, in Morrison, I headed back to the house. My legs felt good, and the old back was fine with the weight of the CamelBak pack, but I made a decision about another piece of equipment. The Flite saddle is coming off, and a Brooks is going on before the race. I just can't make more than about 4 hours in the saddle with the Flite.

Years ago, when I rode Flites all the time, they were an all-day seat for me. I don't know if it's just an age thing, or the fact that I ride on a Brooks(or Adga, Wrights or whatever leather saddle happens to be on the particular commuter bike), every day. But, I need the comfort of the wider leather saddle enough to not worry at all about any added weight.

All in all, about 55 miles of mountain bikey goodness.

In related news, I'm sure I added some weight to the (former) 69er when I installed the Marzocchi Bomber suspension fork and a 26-inch front wheel on it. I am going to take it on the next long ride, and see how it feels in relation to the STP. How it goes will determine which bike becomes the race bike and which is the backup bike.

I may mess around with the gearing a bit, on the KHS, too.

x

3 Comments:

At 6:39 PM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

I wanted to make a 69'er out of my Kona Kula Deluxe,The shortest fork available that will fit a 29" wheel is a Surly 1X1 at 413mm.Alas it's way to long to work without really changing the head angle of the bike.When I go to UBI in Oregon maybe I'll build one.Hmm? A lugged steel rigid 69'er.Another project is born.Now I just have to figure out if truvativ's new 2 speed crank will work with a fixed gear.

 
At 10:05 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

Man, I haven't been mountain biking in ages. Reading this makes me want to go!

The suspension on that STP sure is strange, how's it ride?

 
At 11:46 AM , Blogger Jon said...

It actually rides very nice. The pivotless soft tail design gives a couple of inches of rear wheel travel: enough to take the edge off of most bumps, though certainly not in the league of a full suspension rig for big hits.

Actually, it feels very much like riding a large-volume, low-pressure tire, without the pinch flats and extra weight on the rear wheel.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home