Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Chrome!

So, I kept looking at this old chrome bike, which I picked up at Ye Olde Junque Yard, last spring, trying to figure out what I wanted to do to it. I eventually decided to go for the Minimalist HotRod look.
I found these tires, which look like the bias-ply tires you'd expect to see on a 50s-era rod or bobber. The wheels are some newer alloy cruiser wheels I had picked up, last year, for a project which never happened. I may paint them, later.


The stock fork wouldn't accept the wide tires. The original tires were "middleweights", rather than ballooners. So, I pulled the fork off of a junk Texas Ranger I had hanging around, and sprayed it metallic silver. It's almost as shiny as the weathered chrome on the frame.


I pulled the bars off of an old Huffy freestyle bike I picked up at the thrift store. They are a little taller than what I had envisioned, but they are close enough until I find something better.

The seat is a Brooks "tractor" style. I have no idea where it came from. It's just been floating around the shop for a few months.
The seatpost is a 7/8" (or something smaller than 1", anyway). I didn't have a longer one to fit, but I found that a 27.2 alloy post would slide over the stubby little bugger. I trimmed it to my saddle height, then notched it and used a Schwinn-style seatpost collar to clamp it on and avoid rotation.
A new SRAM chain got me rolling. Feels pretty styling, when I ride it.
x

3 Comments:

At 7:17 PM , Blogger Brad said...

HELL YES!

That is wicked bad!

Fine build Dr. Dremel, I concur!

 
At 11:28 PM , Blogger Jon said...

I've actually made a couple of changes to it, which i think take it further. I'll post pictures, tomorrow.

 
At 6:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That bike is bad-ass! It looks menacing, but I mean that in a cool way.....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home