Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

More (Yawn) Commuter News



As of the end of August, I had ridden to work and back 72 times for a total of 1230 miles.
I've changed my route home, so that I now ride a loop rather than an out-and-back route. The new route also keeps me off of a couple of unpleasantly busy streets and takes me through a neighborhood made up of Mid-50's Modern homes.
I mounted the 29er tire to a flip-flop wheel on the rear so that I could run fixed gear, and I am running the stock wheel in front. A new rack, solidly bolted on, and a Thomson seatpost have solved the loadshifting and seatpost-slipping problems I was having.

I've been adding some graphics, by hand. I thought the white paint was just a bit too plain.


I'm running 32x18 gearing which gives me 51.5 gear inches. Cruising speed is about 17 mph at 100 rpm, but I don't want to push these huge tires uphill with anything bigger. Commute time is still about the same as with the higher gear and smaller tires, since I slow down or stop so many times between here and there that cruising speed is less of an issue than accelleration.

I'm wondering how well it's going to work for me, off-road.

2 Comments:

At 6:23 PM , Blogger katina said...

I like the artwork...did you just use a Sharpie?

 
At 8:42 PM , Blogger Jon said...

I used a BIC permanent marker in "Tuxedo Black". It is pretty permanent; lacquer thinner won't completely remove it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home