Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Stop!...In the Name of...uh...Bike

I treat Stop signs as if they were Yield signs, when I am on the bike. Not legal (unless you are in Idaho), but safe and sane. Traffic-calming devices designed to impede speeding on the part of motor vehicles tend to not be placed in spots logical for cycling.

If the intersection has poor visibility, or if there is other traffic at the intersection, I stop like a good citizen. And, of course, I always make sure to stop if a cop is around.

Two days ago, I approached a 4-way stop as a cop approached on the opposite side. To my right was an RTD bus, and to my left one of those dumbass riders which make even me hate bikes.

This guy was riding on the wrong side of the road, with headphones on, and proceeded to run the Stop sign, cutting off the cop and forcing the bus to swerve into the center of the road to avoid him.

The cop just ignored him, and drove on. I continued on my way to work, wondering why I even bother stopping at any time!

WARNING: COMMUTE STATS AHEAD

So, at the end of my third month of bicycle-commuting, I have ridden to work for 54 days and I have accumulated 918 commute miles. Since April 25, I have bought 26 gallons of gas (one tank in the truck, two in the Triumph), and I have only 57 miles on the truck since June 25.

2 Comments:

At 8:41 PM , Blogger Michael Lemberger said...

Sometimes I wish it were legal to bop such scofflaws on the head with the very traffic signs they so love to ignore.

 
At 10:53 PM , Blogger Holiday Elsie said...

nice stats. hope you enjoy to keep it going! winter is better for commuting...

i'm the one that sold you the schwinn unicycle. haven't driven in the new millenium, and wonder if commuting might be responsible for some of your later posts about coasting? all bikes are good!

i think my daughter is mailing you tonight because she's all crazy about unicycles. answer her honestly and don't feel bad. she's 14 and she can find one...

yield signs they are,
j.p.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home