Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Nice Day For a Bike Ride

Well, I've had a good run this month. I've dodged the bullet, over and over, when it comes to rain. Yesterday, it rained cats and dogs from 10:00 in the morning, until about the time I rode home from work. Then, I left work, in a sprinkling of rain, and rode out of it within about a half mile.

I had a pretty nice ride home, except for the wind. My shoes got wet from riding through puddles (some as deep as the hubs on my wheels) at corners where the storm drains were plugged. I felt like the Sun King: Rain bows before me!

Today, however, the peasants revolted. The rain held off until about 2:00 PM, and was still going strong when I left the lab. I was dressed for the cool temps and moisture (long underwear top and bottom, jersey, arm warmers, bike shorts, nylon bike pants, fleece vest, wind jacket, shoes and socks, gloves and liners), and my usual array of flashing lights, so I wasn't too worried about getting cold and wet.

Thankfully, the wind was near calm. I had expected to be blown around in thunderstorm gusts, but I had a relatively pleasant, though wet, ride.

I only had one close call with a car, which is all I worry about in the rain. Some jerk in a Hummer decided that he couldn't wait until either I was past a line of parked cars, or until the car coming towards us was past. He just brushed by me, nearly hitting me with his mirror on the way by.

I almost felt sorry for him when I caught him at the next red light and knocked on his window. It was obvious from the look on his face that he really wasn't counting on a face to face chat with someone. I guess I was supposed to be intimidated by the greatness of his ridiculous penis-proxy of a car.

Anyway, I was in the middle of explaining to him how rude it is to almost kill someone just because you have a large sense of self-entitlement, when the light turned green and he ran away. I hate cowardly people. Especially cowards who try to bully you and then panic when you confront them.

Ah, well. At least he didn't shoot me before he drove off. That would have been really aggravating.

x

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home