Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Stamp Out Bikes


Stamp them out all day long with this little gem!

My friend Carol needed a rubber stamp of a bike to personalize her MS150 Thank-you notes, but we couldn't find one in the stores. I happened to have a 4x6 inch square of rubber stamp material, which I bought last year, so I told her I'd just make one.

Of course, I had never made one before, but that didn't seem like too big of a deal. I've done a few wood block prints, just for kicks, and I figured this would be easier than that. Turns out that it was.

I took a drawing I had done a couple of years back, for another crafts project, and did a photocopy reduction of it to the size Carol wanted. Then, with a medium-heat clothes iron, I transferred the image to the rubber block.

From there, it was just a matter of carving down the rubber where I didn't want it to print. The fenders were a little tricky (I used a large sewing needle to pick out between the lines).

After I made a couple of test prints, I trimmed off the high spots and glued the stamp to a block of scrap wood I had lying around.

I'm pretty happy with it, considering it was my first try at making a rubber stamp.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home