Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019

It Has Been Awhile

I’ll admit that I am less than enthused about blogging, at this point. Shouting into the void without even an echo gets old, sometimes. 

I just loaded up an app which should let me post from my iPhone, once again. Maybe the convenience of that will inspire me to blog. 

One big problem, though, is that the reason I had to buy an app to do this is that Google has apparently abandoned development of the Blogger app. Blogger doesn’t work with the latest iOS, so people can’t even read this blog on a mobile device unless they, too, buy a third party app. 

Maybe I’ll migrate to another platform, like Wordpress, if it’s mobile-compatible. 



Here is the “final” (for now) configuration of the Surly 1x1. The tires are 24x4”, mounted on 25mm wide rims. Unfortunately, the fork would not clear the front tire, so I had to reinstall the 100mm spaced Pugsley fork. I really prefer the look of the shorter, curved, legs of the Origin8 fork, but sometimes you just have to go with what works. 

Next up: What I Did on Summer Vacation, Part 1

3 Comments:

At 12:46 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I know the feeling of "shouting into the void". Glad you are back.

Re: Blogger vs Wordpress:
One of the reasons I stopped using Blogger about five years ago was how little Google wanted/wants to support it. I was worried that Google would just shut it down, like it likes to do to seemingly popular apps. The Blogger phone app was garbage then (no comment moderation?) and I'm not surprised that it's even more garbage now.

Wordpress does have a phone app, and they do support it. I've blogged through it and moderated comments (it will notify you of comments.) It does about 75% of what the desktop will, so you can easily blog on the go. (Deeper things like theme changes, etc, still need to be done on desktop.)

Also, you can migrate your entire Blogger blog to Wordpress, so it's all in one place. I still have my old Blogger blog out there, but every post that was on it is now on the "new" blog, so I shut down commenting on the old one.

There may be a few minuses with WP. It can be a bit more complicated until you get the hang of it. But I switched to Wordpress and haven't looked back.

-Shawn
https://urbanadventureleague.wordpress.com/

 
At 7:30 PM , Blogger Pondero said...

This post struck a chord. I started blogging because I wanted a personal journal. I continued because I made connections. Then, I found a better way to make connections. Finally, there were only a few blog connections, and they were already connected with me elsewhere, and I don't think they really want more WORDS from me. So why would I blog.

But I enjoy your words, and I read them. So...

 
At 7:33 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I still read here and I'm going to bookmark your new link. Keep writing, Jon!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home