Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Last Weekend Wore Me Out

And, I'm a bit discouraged by that the fact that I was so tired after two training rides, and a recovery ride.


Last Thursday, before I headed down to the Englewood Tavern to host my bi-weekly Open Mic Night, I installed the cyclometer onto the race bike. I also swapped the water bottle cage from the fat bike, and loaded up the handlebar goodie bag, so that I would be ready to go on Friday morning.



I like the little bag so much that I actually ordered another, so that I won't have the water bottle cage on the handlebar. I'll have one goodie bag full of snacks, and one with the bottle in it, and snacks in the outside mesh pockets.

Speaking of snacks ... I took all of my research into account and loaded up with high-carb foods for the training ride. I find that the general nutritional consensus is that you simply can't do endurance training and racing while strictly following the Keto plan. So, I follow it on non-ride days, and eat my carbs when I need the fuel.

On Friday, I rode 53 miles in right at four hours. Not bad time, I suppose, (an hour faster, on the same loop, than the week before), but I was pretty spent when it was done. On Saturday, I took the fat bike out for about an hour and did a fairly easy spin. Then, I rode a different route on Sunday (race bike, again), and managed 30 miles in a little under three hours.

On Sunday, a cold front moved in while I was riding, and I got quite chilled on the bike. Both my hands and feet were really cold, and I could feel it in my core, as well.

So, altogether, I rode about 80 miles, over a 3-day span, and it wore me the hell out. This does not bode well for my ability to race 100 miles in under 10 hours, 40 days from now.

I've really noticed that it is more difficult to regain my fitness now, in my late 50s, than it was 8 or 9 years ago. Time leaves no-one behind, I suppose, and I am wearing down, physically. I just hope that I don't embarrass myself, too badly, at the race.

Regardless of how I feel about my conditioning by the end of March, I will go and attempt the course. I have challenged myself to it, and (barring injury), I plan to give it my best shot, whether I succeed at completing it, or not.

The C.O.G.-100 is an actual challenge, not a foregone conclusion for me. And, that's why it's important to me.

Wish me luck ... I need it!

x

3 Comments:

At 7:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you don't finish the CAG 100 it doesn't mean you failed. It means you succeeded in riding however far you rode in the CAG 100. Most of the people I know our age (make that all of the people I know our age except for you) wouldn't even attempt this ride. As far as I am concerned, however far you ride is a success because you are out there trying while the rest of us are home watching Netflix. (Anonymous sister, by the way)

 
At 10:17 AM , Blogger Pondero said...

Good luck!

I am familiar with the challenge of developing fitness (at our age). In fact, I am noticing how rapidly it fades. It is great to see that you are up for this challenge, and I am cheering for you. I can't quite work up the gumption to participate in anything involving a start line. We will get there eventually, seems to be the right pace these days.

 
At 2:19 PM , Blogger Eric Daume said...

Jon,

Good on you for even attempting this! I'm a decade younger, and this would still be a scary project to take on.

Eric

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home