Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Saturday, January 26, 2019

Three-Hour Tour



Yesterday, I installed a cyclometer onto the Beast so that I could more easily keep track of how long I ride on my training runs. Of course, it also allows me to watch my average speed, and whatnot, as well.

I left the house a little after 12:30, which was a about an hour later than I wanted to leave. But, of course, the installation of the cyclometer pickup was problematic, on the fat wheel and fork, and it took me a while to get everything working.

I ended up using a wine cork, trimmed to fit, as a spacer to get the pickup close enough to the magnet.
Once that was done, and the wire was routed (I still prefer the wired version to the wireless, because I'm old...) I was ready to roll.

After I got the bike ready, I changed clothes and took off. Once again, I rode over to the Highline Canal Trail, and headed west. This time, I watched the cyclometer and just rode until I had been riding for an hour and a half. At that point, I stopped and checked my mileage (15.06 mi.), then turned around and headed back.

The return trip took an additional nine minutes. This was due to not only the fact that it's slightly uphill on the way back, but I was really feeling the effort in my quads. Fifteen miles of pretty much nonstop pedaling, mostly in snow and mud, on a single speed fat bike will do the to you.

My quads were burning, before it was over.

I stopped here on the way out, and the way back, to eat some almond butter and drink water. This is on the way back.


New pedals. These are really grippy, and I had to pay attention to how I oriented my feet, because it took some effort to change, as I was rolling.

I'm feeling pretty good about how my training is progressing. I am taking a rest day, today, and plan on hitting it hard, again, tomorrow. The temps were in the 40s, today, and are supposed to reach the mid-50s, tomorrow. So, I may take the race bike out and hit the paved trail for a big loop to see how the setup suits me. If not, then I'll do a repeat of this ride.

Sixty three days to go until the COG 100...

x

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home