Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

The Almond Butter Band



I went out, once again, on the single speed fat bike, today. Twenty five miles, two thirds of which were on the snow and mud of the Highline Canal.

I was pretty pleased that I was able to do another ride like this, the day after having put one in for the first time in probably a year and a half. It was a good ride, in the best of wintertime conditions. The skies were mostly sunny, the temps were in the mid 50s, and there was little wind.

I will have to skip riding, these next few days. I am going to Tennessee to take care of some family business. When I get back, I will have a couple of days off. I hope I can get another couple of good rides in before I have to return to work.

It's a long, hard row to hoe when you are trying to regain your fitness, with a relatively short deadline. It is only 73 days until the C.O.G. 100 race, and I am in need of some gumption.

Hopefully I can find it!

One of my challenges is figuring out to fuel myself while maintaining a relatively low carbohydrate input. I filled my goo flask with Almond Butter, and took it with me today. I liked the taste and the texture, as I rode. And, the Almond Butter seemed to fuel me up, pretty well. But, it was hard to squeeze the stuff out of the flask.

I ordered some packets of Almond-Butter-based fuel, the other day, and it arrived, today. It looks like it might do the trick. It comes in a disposable flask, and has coconut butter and chia seeds, plus some other stuff, in it to thin it down, add calories and also make it a bit more well-rounded, nutritionally. I hope it works out well to eat it as I ride.

In the meantime, more bike parts hit the porch, today. My single-speed cog and spacers came in, for the racer. And, single-speed chainring bolts. The inner tubes also arrived, today. The new seat post should be here within the week.

I'll start building the bike when I get back into town. But, I will continue training on the fat tire bike. The added resistance should speed up my training and lead me to fitness a bit quicker than the normal bike would.

Wish me luck!

x

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home