Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Thursday, December 08, 2011

Need...or...Want

Do you ever decide that you want something so badly that you come to feel that you need it, even though your life is perfectly fine without it? 

I have (on numerous occasions).

Currently, the "need devil" on my shoulder is whispering in my ear about a Fat Bike.  You know; a Surly Pugsley, or a Salsa Mukluk, or something similar.

There is a couple of things keeping me from running out and buying one.  The first is cost.  These bikes range from $1599 to close to $2000 new, and used examples are rare as hen's teeth (and not much cheaper than a new one, to boot).

Now, I could come up with the money, if I really wanted to.  I am no stranger to robbing Peter to pay Paul.  I could sell some stuff and finance the purchase.  But, the other consideration, the thing that actually keeps me from pulling the trigger on purchasing one of these bikes, is that I have absolutley no real use for one.

When I bought my Handsome XOXO, I justified the cash outlay by deeming the bike to be a commuter.  And, I have used it as such.  Every time I ride it to work, the cost becomes that much less of a concern to me.

But, the Fat Bike would be nothing but an expensive toy.  I couldn't really use it as a winter commuter.  The problem we have in the winter is not deep snow on the road but, rather, ice on the road.  No matter how fat the tires, if they aren't studded they are going to slip on ice.

And, it's not like I have a bunch of friends going snow-biking all winter and leaving me behind.  I would be the only person in my acquaintance who had one of these, and I would end up riding alone (and therefore, not very often).

So far, I have managed to stay logical and hold on to my money. 

But, man, that new Mukluk is awfully cool!

x

9 Comments:

At 7:40 PM , Blogger Pondero said...

I can't justify one for myself, but I think all my friends should have a fat bike, especially those nearest to me.

 
At 7:40 PM , Blogger Brad said...

Well. Not that I'm trying to be a devil on the shoulder advocate...but I want you to get one just so I can ride it. And also, I think you should get the Surly...cuz I have one too. Wouldn't be unlike the boneshaker and mini boneshaker combo.

 
At 7:41 PM , Blogger Brad said...

@Pondero you beat me to it! Well said!

 
At 3:55 AM , Blogger Big Oak said...

Maybe some of your friends will buy their own, especially after they see how much fun you're having on yours, then you'll have a flock of people to ride with. Rides in places where you might not regularly bike. And think of the components - the brakes, derailleurs. The smell of the rubber...

Oops, I'm sorry, getting excited myself. I'd like one of those also.

 
At 7:43 AM , Blogger Wilson said...

Seems we all have the same "devil" whispering into an ear! Let me temp you a bit more...FreezeThaw Cycles in Pennsylvania has a barely used Mukluk for sale!

 
At 10:03 AM , Blogger Christopher said...

I keep trying to get the cross country ski rental places to invest in fat bikes so I can rent them...

 
At 5:40 PM , Blogger LvilleTex said...

You hit the nail on the head. I've been covering, but, right. It's a true toy with no real functionability. And we dont get much snow at all.

 
At 5:17 PM , Anonymous Mattyfu said...

I was trying to figure out what the big hullabaloo was with the fat tired bikes because we have pretty similar snow conditions to you (glare ice, sandy/packed powder or slush in order of frequency) and it didn't seem like a useful choice but I knew better than to risk a test ride and the potential lust and wallet lightening that could lead to.

 
At 2:45 AM , Blogger Bailey said...

Words like "need" or "justify" really have no place in a discussion about whether one should buy a fatbike. That is the easiest way for you to never own one!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home