Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Friday, August 27, 2010

It's Been a While Since I built a Fixed-Gear For Anyone...



Before Richard left for the Peace Corps, he decided that he just had to have this frame, built as a fixed gear, when he got back.  I took his mountain bike in trade, and set the frame aside, adding parts to the pile as I found them.

The wheels came off of one of my bikes, when I sold the frame.  The tires were on my bike when I rode the Copper Triangle, a few weeks ago.  The seat came from Carol's road bike, when she got a Brooks.  The On-One Fleagle Bar came from Velo-Swap, last year.  Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera...

The frame is a Campania, with a very decidedly Italian flair.   It even has an Italian-thread bottom-bracket shell.  Of course, it was made in Japan, back in the late 70s or early 80s.

So very (faux) Italian.

Richard came over, a couple of Saturdays ago, and we did the basic assembly.  However, I couldn't find the brakes I was planning on using, so he left it here to be finished later.  We were going to get together, tomorrow, but I realized I had plans.  So, I worked on it, last night, and finished it up.

I'm just going to drop it by his house, tonight, and let him ride it for a while to see if the bars suit, and whatnot.  If not, he will come back over for tweaking.  If it suits, then it's done.



I haven't been doing much bike building, lately.  There's no money in it, any more (or so it seems), and I have been a little off stride, this summer anyway.  So, it's nice to do the "friends and family" stuff like this, and Mark's wine crate rack, just for fun.

x

3 Comments:

At 7:26 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

That's a great looking bike. I'm sure he'll get a lot of use out of it.

 
At 5:29 PM , Anonymous Christian Levy said...

Hey Jon,
You built a red Schwinn Le Tour for my brother a few years ago, the one with Red Mavic CXP33s, which happens to be mine now. I have a few questions for you regarding a Bridgestone MB-1 ( I think it is the first model year...85?). Somehow it was abandoned at my apartment building here in boulder, for what looks like a few years. It is in great shape except for a crack that runs almost completely around the seat tube (just above front derailleur). Would it be possible to email you some pictures? I'd like to get your input on whether or not it is repairable...and if you would be able to do the repairs. My email is Christian.levy@colorado.edu.

Really looking forward to hearing back from you.

-Christian Levy

 
At 8:06 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Hey, Christian. While that frame is technically repairable, it would be cost prohibitive. basically, a frame builder would need to pull the seat tube out of the frame, and braze in a new one. I couldn't do it, unfortunately, and most frame builders would charge enough that you could buy a new frame for the price.

Say hello to your dad, for me.

Jon

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home