Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Another Busy Weekend Day

Well, once again I worked hard, all day, and only got about half of the stuff I wanted to do completed.  I've tried, all weekend, to get some guitars ready for sale, and list them on Craigslist.  But I am done with working, for today, and that hasn't gotten done.

But, I did get some stuff done and out of the way.  For one, I got the wine crate (which I varnished, yesterday) mounted onto Mark Overly's bike.  Mark owns Kaladi Brothers, and I've had his bike for most of this year, trying to build a custom rack for it.  I could never get the right tubing to braze it up, so we decided to go the crate route, instead.

 I built this sub-frame out of aluminum u-stock and angle stock...

then I test-fitted the crate to make sure that it wouldn't interfere with the mustache bars I had just fitted.

I sent these pictures to Marko, last Sunday, to see what he thought.  He gave me thumb's up to go ahead and bolt it all together.

So, today, I did just that.

I braced the top of the crate to the stem, to avoid the swaying that I notice on my cruiser when I'm carrying a load.

It works really well.  But, if Marko wants to raise or lower the bars, I'll have to undo the bolts connecting the brace to the crate, then drill new holes and reattach it.  Hopefully, the bars will be suitable as they are.

The view from the cockpit.

I also replaced the knobby tires on Tyler's bike (you may remember this as my former snow bike, from a while back).  One of the tires had a hole in it, and Tyler wanted slicker tires for knocking around town, anyway.

So, I threw these 26x1.75 commuter tires on it.  They were on sale, at Performance, for cheap.  Plus, I like the deep tread, for sand on the road, etc.  Hopefully, Tyler will also like them.

Colin's bmx bike had a worn-out freewheel on it, which was freewheeling in both directions.  When Carol left it over here, last week, for me to look at I had to give her the bad news that the wheel was broken, also.  The rim was coming apart at the seam.  So, I replaced the wheel and freewheel with items from the spare-parts pile.  I think that is the fifth rear wheel this bike has had on it since Tyler got it new, in 1998, or so.

Then, I fixed the band brake on Colin's little monkey bike.

And now, I am pretty much worn out from working in 95 degree heat, all day (well, since 11:00 AM, anyway), and I am planning on grabbing a shower and doing little else for the rest of the day.

x

3 Comments:

At 11:46 AM , Blogger Apertome said...

I love the silver/wood look, well done!

 
At 7:49 AM , Anonymous Mark Beattie said...

Was the aluminum stock easy to find, or was this something you had on hand? Would Lowes or Home Depot have this or another speciality store? Did you end up tapping it with threads or just drilling straight through and bolting? How much weight do you think it'd support? Thanks. -Mark

 
At 9:27 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Mark B: It's just standard old Ace Hardware stuff. I just drilled and bolted it to the eyelet, with a nut on the other end.

It should support enough weight to negatively affect the handling. No problem for a case of beer and a couple of bottles of wine, etc., I would think.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home