Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Monday, May 24, 2010

Panasonic

Myles, over at Rat trap Press, just posted about a 1988 Panasonic ATB frame he picked up.  He has plans to build a touring bike from it.

Coincidentally, my buddy Mark scored a Panasonic ATB for me, just last week.  I had hoped to build it up for Mike, at work, but he wasn't taken with the color. (I built the DiamondBack Cruiser for his wife, recently.)

I sorta like the purple, myself.  For some reason, it is a color I associate with Panasonic bikes, both ATBs and Road.

The lug work is pretty nice...

and it is "An International Bicycle Brand", after all.

And, I really like the graceful, curved fork with skinny, road-bike-like, legs.  This is one of my favorite things about the XO-2, also.  I think that the bigger fork legs on the RockCombo make it look much more "mountain-bike-like", if that makes sense.

I gave $35.00 for the entire bike, so I should be able to build something up which I can sell at a reasonable price, without coming out in the red.

x

3 Comments:

At 2:36 PM , Blogger Apertome said...

Looks like a fun bike ... can't wait to see what you do with it. Really funny that you and Myles both picked up similar bikes at the same time, independently of each other.

 
At 3:43 PM , Blogger Rat Trap Press said...

What a coincidence. I can't believe that you only paid $35. I've never built up an old mountain bike before. I'm noticing things, like the spacing of the rear dropouts appears to be 126mm (5 speed) as opposed to the current 135mm for modern mountain bikes. I'm sure that I'll be hitting you up for advice quite often.

 
At 8:28 PM , Blogger Steve A said...

Panasonics ARE cool! I wait to see what you both do with these bikes as well...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home