Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Retired My Commuter Bike, This Evening

I guess, that, actually, I re-tired it. I took the 29x2" (700x50c) tires off and replaced them with some Maxxis Wormdrive monstercross tires. I have been noticing some knee pain, lately, and I was wondering if accelerating the heavy 2" tires was contributing to it.

So, I swapped out to the Maxxis tires (which I had on the red and black Rockhopper Monster), after work, today. I was using the 2" tires in order to protect the rims from the recurring damage I experienced with 35c tires, in the past. Hopefully, the 42s will be big enough to protect the wheels, yet small enough to roll a little more easily.

I actually have some 45c tires on order, but I wanted to go ahead and try the smaller size, tomorrow. I have a 4-day weekend coming up (furlough, weekend, MLK Day), so I have to ride them tomorrow, or wait until next week to check out how they affect the commute. And, I am too curious about it to wait.

I'll get some daylight pictures, later (my house is too dark, even with the flash, to get a good shot), and post up my impressions.

x

4 Comments:

At 4:56 AM , Blogger Big Oak said...

I'm looking forward to retirement this weekend also. Glad to hear your commuter is getting new rubber, not the gold watch!

 
At 8:09 AM , Blogger katina said...

Good thing you clarified because I was totally like "whaaa?"

 
At 11:39 AM , Blogger Apertome said...

Clever play on words! My commuter has felt dog slow lately, and it's no speed demon, but I think I finally figured out that it's due to all the extra weight from the crap I have to carry to deal with the cold weather. DOH!

 
At 2:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will not concur on it. I over nice post. Specially the title-deed attracted me to read the whole story.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home