Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Scenes From the Ride Home

We are having a bit of a snow storm, here on the Front Range of Colorado, today. The day started with light snow and rain and an official Blizzard Warning in effect from 6:00 AM today through 6:00 AM, tomorrow.
-
As the morning went by, the snow got heavier and the wind picked up. Eventually, the blizzard conditions appeared. At noon, we got an email from the Director advising us that we were welcome to go home early, for safety's sake.

-

As I was getting ready to leave, two or three people made repeated attempts to get me to ride home with them, in their car. They all know better, but it was kinda nice to know people are actually concerned with my well-being.

-

"Hey, Jon...want a ride home?"

"No, thanks, I've got one."



This was the scene about a mile into the ride; almost total whiteout conditions. Luckily, the streets I ride are never heavily travelled, and even less so, today.

Just a couple of shots to show the lack of visibility. This is shot from the bike path which runs alongside the football field at George Washington High. The school building is just about 100 feet past those trees.


Looking west from the same location.

At one point on my daily commute, I cut through City of Potenza Park. See the bike path? It's a good thing I know where it is. Bagging first tracks has its disadvantages, at times.

One hour, exactly, after leaving the lab, I got home. Luckily, the 30-to-40 mph wind was at my back, most of the way. The times I was riding perpendicular to the wind were pretty grievous.
-
Still, it was a pretty fun ride with no falls or other problems. I was shocked, though, to see how many people were driving cars in these conditions with their lights off.
-
As someone once asked, "What? Are you trying to save money on your electric bill?"
-
x





7 Comments:

At 5:53 PM , Blogger Big Oak said...

Impressive. You got grit.

 
At 6:31 PM , Blogger Rat Trap Press said...

I hope its the last bit of winter weather you have to deal with till next winter. It looks like your cold front will be hitting us tomorrow. Our temps are supposed to drop to the mid 50's.

 
At 10:44 PM , Blogger katina said...

hahaha! You should always post pictures of yourself at the end of the day's ride because sometimes, they are hilarious.

 
At 7:55 AM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

Nice icebeard!

 
At 8:56 AM , Blogger Charlotte said...

Well done sir, well done.

 
At 12:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice ride! Yeah, I probably won't be making that one here in New Orleans.

And yes--I've recovered quickly from Baby's First Clipless Crash. I can tell it's going to be worth it.

 
At 8:17 AM , Blogger Apertome said...

Yeah, the ice beard is great. Sucks you're still seeing conditions like this, but it's good to see you're still out riding in them. Great job.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home