Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Ten Things I'd Like to Tell Aggressive Drivers

I've had pretty good luck avoiding aggression on the part of Denver's drivers, as I've been commuting. But, you'll still run into the occasional person who just doesn't get it. These are some things I'd like to tell them (and I've told at least one driver each of these, at some point or another).

1. You really should check to see if there is room to pass my bicycle before you pass me, rather than looking in your rearview mirror to see if I survived.

2. You are belted into the equivalent of a La-Z-Boy recliner, protected from the elements, listening to music and travelling along with virtually no physical effort required. My presence on the road does not materially inconvenience you.

3. If someone treated your parent, spouse, child or friend the way you just treated me, you'd want to kill them.

4. Cyclists are someone's parent, spouse, child or friend.

5. Every gallon of gasoline I don't burn remains available for you to buy. You should thank me for lowering demand at the pump.

6. Going slower than you is not a capital crime, and I don't deserve to die for it. And, in any case, you are not in charge of executions.

7. Anyone can drive a car like yours. Most people can't ride a bike 100 miles in a day.

8. Driving aggressively toward cyclists is like punching babies: Nothing to be proud of.

9. You own no more of the road than I do.

10. I feel sorry for you.

Those are my ten. Anything to add?

x

3 Comments:

At 4:55 PM , Blogger frankenbiker said...

SAME ROADS
SAME RIGHTS
SAME RULES

WWW.CLEVELANDBIKES.ORG

It all comes down to respect and courtesy,and as you said bikes don't really slow down cars in the long run.If drivers paid as much attention to bicyclists as bicyclists paid to drivers there would probably be a lot fewer instances for anyone to get angry and we would all be a lot better off for it.

Oh! this one goes out to EVERYONE on the road drivers and cyclists.
GET OFF OF THE DAMN PHONE!!!!That is the last thing you need to be doing while controliing a vehicle of any sort!!!!!

 
At 5:09 PM , Blogger Ed W said...

Here's mine:

If you can't figure out how to safely pass something as small and slow as a bicyclist, maybe it's time to re-examine your driving skills.

That lane on our right is a RIGHT TURN LANE. You don't drive there and I don't ride there - unless we're turning.

Yes, motorists complain all the time that cyclists don't stop at red lights. So why are you so upset that I've stopped at a red light in front of you?

 
At 1:53 PM , Blogger Tom said...

11. "GET A BIKE!!!"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home