Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Goals

Goals...I tend to set them for myself, both at work and in my personal life, just to avoid being useless.  Sometimes I achieve them, other times I don't.  The three of you who read regularly will probably remember that I set goals for big rides on each of my bikes, this year.  Then, my body let me down and I was forced off of the bike for a month and a half by Achilles Tendinitis.  No big rides to speak of, so far...

Getting old truly sucks.

The same malady forced me to abandon my commute-by-bike-every-day routine, last summer, after 838  828 work days (a bit over 4 years) straight.  Since then, I have felt somewhat adrift, personally.  I enjoy riding the Scrambler, but my life feels..I don't know...incomplete.  I can't seem to commute by bike "most days".  It tends to be an occasional thing, since I don't have the everyday thing going.

It is driving me up the wall.

So, I am going to set myself a short-term goal:  I will commute by bike on every work day during the month of August, come rain or shine, hell or high water, good tendons or bad.

I need to find myself, again.  And I usually do that on a bicycle.

x


8 Comments:

At 9:22 PM , Blogger Steve A said...

Hey, WAIT A SECOND! On June 5, 2011, you reported 828 days. At least one loyal reader pays attention to your posts. Though he's only closing in on 350 and does not plan to work enough additional work days to come close to "Cal Gruber."

Call me "Lou - Lucky Man"

 
At 9:35 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Typo corrected. Good catch. You get a gold star for paying attention!

 
At 9:37 PM , Blogger Jerome said...

I went through the same thing a while ago. It ended up just passing and and I haven't been the avid cyclist that I once was. I still enjoy bikes, but I just don't get out on them that much.

Good for you, good for August. I hope you get right back into it and get yourself right.

 
At 4:59 AM , Blogger Pondero said...

Yep. I've been looking forward to those "big ride" reports.

The Scrambler trips have been quite entertaining, but every time I read one I have a Scrambler craving. Then I spend about a week saying, "I don't need a motorcycle" to myself over and over.

 
At 6:35 AM , Blogger Oldfool said...

You are right, getting old does suck however once you are deemed old by both yourself and others it's not so bad. In fact it gets good. Fighting it is just a waste of time and effort because you will get old or not. It's the or not I would try to avoid and just enjoy the "getting" part.

 
At 11:55 AM , Blogger Wilson said...

Always enjoy what you have to say.

You are clearly a fellow with lots of interests as well as the expertise to give informed input.

Good luck with the goals you've set.

 
At 3:31 PM , Blogger Steve A said...

As noted in my NEW post, started before yours, but modified based on it, you probably aren't going to replicate the "Cal Ripkin" achievement. I DO hope you will provide further inspiration to us "non-spring chickens".

In the meantime, like Jon, Cal and Lou before them, I'll also pick a time to simply stop.

 
At 11:45 PM , Blogger Travel Gravel said...

Hey Jon, I was searching for images of Spaceliners (Which your chrome bike with the twin split top tubes must be) and found your blog. Cool blog. So I was looking at your link list, and Whammo! there's my blog listed on yours! It is a small world indeed. And as a 46 year old man, I can say that getting old does, indeed, suck. It is kind of nice to be able to dislike old people and young people from the same place though. Keep up the blog, I'll put a link on mine, and maybe even update it? Later!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home