Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Yardsale Skate Find

Found this little guy for a dollar, today:

 The paint is, unfortunately, pretty much worn off.  It is a Roller Derby Skateboard, from the early 1960s.  This was the first commercially available skateboard to hit the market.

 The bearings in the steel wheels are still in pretty good condition.

 But the trucks are loose on the deck.  Plus, they were riveted on, rather than bolted, and one rivet is missing.  So, even if the deck looked like it would hold me, I still wouldn't ride it!

I wish it was in better shape, but it's good enough for my small collection.

x

3 Comments:

At 6:22 AM , Blogger Big Oak said...

Back in the early 70's, I made my own version of this board by taking one of my sister's skates apart and bolting each wheel set to opposite ends of a board. I worked great, although it skidded horribly on those epic downhill slaloms.

 
At 2:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really well done for the blog.these are so sweet and pretty!
Wheels For Sale

 
At 11:50 AM , Blogger Christopher said...

My first board was nicer than this one, but it had clay wheels.
Slow and the wheels would stop on every bit of gravel. Even though I got better boards later, that first one really dampened my interest in skateboarding...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home